Can you help me to help my scrupulous daughter?

I have a teenage daugher who is struggling with OCD and scrupulosity. She has begun seeing a psychiatrist and counselor for assistance, but we have not found undertanding/support from our local parish priest. My daugther’s extreme anxiety and fears are so difficult for her and hard for the rest of the family to see her struggle with. I so want her to accept God’s unconditional love and forgiveness. Your prayers, insights, and support will be appreciated. Any words of encouragement I might share with her would be invalualbe. Thank you.

Dear friend,

Unfortunately, not all priests have an adequate understanding of the dynamics of ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder). Ocd can manifest itself with scruples. It sounds like this is the case with your daughter. I deal with many people with scruples privately here and with the help of a priest psychiatrist, have learned a bit about how to help such people. I’d be happy to help your daughter. Just click on my name in red above and then click on “Send a private message”. Of course, she is in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.