Can you help me with my first confession?

Hello

this will be my first confession as a catholic, i really am not sure what to do,:confused: I went through the r.c.i.a course last year, and i was too baptised, so I did not have to go to confession, its make me so nervous, im wondering just not to go, and what i want to confess i feel silly saying, could somebody please advice the procedure, many thanks

Hi,

It’s unfortunate that you have waited so long and that you weren’t instructed more thoroughly. You have nothing to fear. Just tell the priest what you have said here. He will help you. He knows what it is like to go to Confession since he has to confess his sins also. So don’t worry about how you will sound. Besides, he has heard everything. Nothing much fazes a priest who hears confessions.

One ought to go to Confession at least once a month. I try to go every two weeks. When one waits a long time, it is easy to forget one’s sins. Also, we receive sanctifying grace from the sacrament which gives us strength to overcome temptation. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.