Can you help me with praying to angels?

Hi!

As a Protestant about to swim the Tiber there are few things that I question in regards to the Church’s teachings. Over the past few years everything has fallen into place. However I’m still not sure I understand praying to Angels for support. Unlike Saint’s who are charged with taking part in salvation as part of the Body of Christ, Angels are a different being.

Can you help me with the teachings on this and where they originated?

Thanks!
Joe

Hi Joe,

The angels are spiritual beings who have a free will and an intellect that is far superior to our. The evil ones dwell in Hell and the holy ones dwell in Heaven and are therefor considered to be saints. Whoever is in heaven is a saint. God uses them as messengers, guardians and all-around helpers to us—as well as reflecting His glory.

In the book of Tobit 12:12 the Archangel Raphael said to Tobias, “So now when you and Sarah prayed, it was I who brought and read the record of your prayer before the glory of the Lord, and likewise whenever you would bury the dead.” In Tobit 12: 14b-16 we read further, “And at the same time God sent me to heal you and Sarah your daughter-in-law. I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who stand ready and enter before the glory of the Lord. The two of them were shaken; they fell face down, for they were afraid.”

For more, see “Angel” at the original Catholic Encyclopedia

So there it is! Hang in there, Joe. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.