Can you help me with this Jesus question?

I have a problem. I’ve gone to church most of my life. About 10 years ago I moved to a neighborhood that was primarily Jewish and now know a lot of Jewish people. Now, whether that has contributed to my opinion or not, I am not sure, but it probably has.

My Question: Who says Jesus was the son of God any more than you or I are the sons of God? Why does everything have to be so “Jesus centric” when IF a Jesus-like person were to exist today, we’d all possibly call such a person a crackpot? All the stories in the bible sound to me like they were written by a bunch of old guys in a backroom, as good and helpful as they are. I understand they’re very good stories, but are we sure Jesus is “the guy”? OR…should we understand that Jesus is a tool to get to God, maybe put into the consciousnesses of people By God, whether or not he was ever “the guy” people say he was?

That said, I have to say that on the other side of the coin: I had a relationship with God and maybe Jesus (I can’t remember how it was, strangely) that was extremely strong since I was a little kid, AND when I started not-believing-possibly in Jesus so much about 10 years ago, I noticed that the relationship I mentioned feels like it has evaporated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Who says Jesus was the Son of God any more than you and I are sons of God? Well, Scripture shows us how He fulfilled so much that was foretold of Him in the Old Testament. His mother remained a virgin because His real father is God, the Father. He taught in a way to which the Jewish people were unaccustomed, because He spoke with authority. He suffered and was put to death because He identified Himself with God, the Father in a way that no one else ever has. Certainly, there were others who claimed to be the Messiah, but only He died and rose from the dead and was seen by many people. Friend, I don’t think that you and I are even in the running.

A week after He rose from the tomb, He appeared a second time to His Apostles and to Thomas who had not yet seen Him, doubted. When Jesus asked to put his hand in His wounds, Thomas fell prostrate on the floor and responded: “My Lord and my God!” For over two thousand years, His followers have acknowledged Him in this way. You might do some reading regarding the Faith you were brought up in. It is the greatest gift you have ever been given. You seem to give credibility to every possibility about who Jesus is—except the one that so many people through the centuries have died to uphold.

I suggest that you read the book, “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.