Can you help with a question about the Canticle of Zechariah?

I say the Morning and the Evening Prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours. I find myself continually distracted by the Canticle of Zachariah (Luke 1:68-79). Zechariah was struck dumb because he did not believe the angel’s promise that his wife would become pregnant. He was able to speak again only when his son was born… He then prophesied that his son “shall be called the prophet of the Most High”, and that he "will go before the Lord to prepare his way, to give his people knowledge of salvation by the forgiveness of their sins. "

My question lies in statements that Zachariah makes about the mighty Savior that the God of Israel has raised up to set his people free. Zachariah says through His holy prophets “He promised of old that he would save us from our enemies, from the hands of all who hate us”. And again " This was the oath he swore to for Father Abraham: to set us free from the hands of our enemies… "

It appears to me that Zachariah is prophesying about a conqueror savior, which is clearly not what Jesus is about. Can you help clear up my confusion? Thank you for your help.

Hi,

Our greatest enemies are all those who want to come between us and God, especially Satan and his minions. And Jesus certainly conquered Satan.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.