Can you help with confessing this embarrassing sin?

Well, first of all, about a week ago, I finally had enough courage to confess all of my extremely embarrassing sins. When I told the priest my first embarrassing sin, he simply said, “hm.” Since I’m a girl and only 13, (which is one of my biggest fears, since I’m so young) it was very nerve racking, too. I committed it again and feel terrible, but I’m too embarrassed to confess it again. This confession was especially awkward, too. I had planned to make my confession completely anonymous. But my mom and I were the first ones there, so he knew it was me. Also, I can’t go to another priest because I live in a small town and there is only one catholic church here. It would be even more embarrassing to ask my mom to go to a different priest so I can confess this. Please give some advice of what I should do in this situation.

Dear friend,

The priest will not be shocked if you confess this sin again. He hears so many sins that he is not likely to remember yours. I know, because I hear Confessions too. What is important is that you focus on Jesus who forgives your sins through the priest who is His instrument.

Think of it this way. If you knew that next week you were going to die, you would have no problem with confessing this sin. In fact, you would be eager to confess is. Well, we don’t know that you are not going to die next week. So confess the sin and know that the priest is a sinner too, and he also has to go to Confession. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.