Can you help with interpreting the Catechism on drinking and drunkenness?

I have two friends with opposing views on drunkenness and sin, each citing CCC 2290 for their reasoning.

One states that being drunk is always grave matter and that drinking to a relaxed state is cause for an immediate trip to the confessional. They claim that 2290 means that one can never drink alcohol enough to feel the effects.

Another states that getting to that relaxed state infrequently, when one has removed oneself from all major temptations, arranged for there to be no pressing responsibilities on the morrow, and when chaperoned by a sober spouse, there is no cause for it to be grave sin, or likely sinful at all. They say that if one considers the parts of the Bible that encourage feasting and even enjoying drink, the pertinent part of the passage from the Catechism is the second sentence, which means an occasional (like a few times a year) feast is not sinful, as long as no bad behaviors result.

Which is the correct interpretation of the Catechism?

These links should be helpful for understanding the Church’s teaching on the consumption of alcohol and the moral implications of drunkenness. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]What does the bible really say about drinking?
*] Is drinking alcohol a sin?
*] Is getting drunk grave matter?
*] Can I drink if I’m not 21?
*] Does being drunk reduce culpability?
*] driving under the influence
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.