Can you help with this Jehovahs Witnesses - Identity of "the word" issue?

Hi,

Can you please enlighten me about the this issue, I have a neighbour who is JW and kept in insisting if he can speak to me about introducing JW. One day I told him maybe we can exchange ideas through email and he sent me this one. cause I asked him about the the bible trtanslation. Can you help me to understand so that I can explain to him in return. Thanks and God bless!

Identity of “the Word”?
Many Greek scholars and Bible translators acknowledge that John 1:1 highlights, not the identity, but a quality of “the Word.” Says Bible translator William Barclay: “Because [the apostle John] has no definite article in front of theos it becomes a description . . . John is not here identifying the Word with God. To put it very simply, he does not say that Jesus was God.” Scholar Jason David BeDuhn likewise says: “In Greek, if you leave off the article from theos in a sentence like the one in John 1:1c, then your readers will assume you mean ‘a god.’ . . . Its absence makes theos quite different than the definite ho theos, as different as ‘a god’ is from ‘God’ in English.” BeDuhn adds: “In John 1:1, the Word is not the one-and-only God, but is a god, or divine being.” Or to put it in the words of Joseph Henry Thayer, a scholar who worked on the American Standard Version: “The Logos [or, Word] was divine, not the divine Being himself.”

The following links should help you in your discussions with Jehovah’s Witnesses. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly. Check with your parish for good Catholic studies and suggestions
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]The Trinity
*]Explaining the Trinity
*]God in Three Persons
*]How to Understand the Trinity
*]How to Understand the Trinity (Encore)
*]Can you explain the Trinity in plain language?
[/LIST]
More Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Where does Scripture state that Jesus is God?
*]Are They Awake on The Watchtower?
*] Distinctive Beliefs of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
*]Stumpers for the Jehovah’s Witnesses
*]More Stumpers for the Jehovah’s Witnesses
*] The God of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
*] History of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
*] Strategies of the Jehovah’s Witnesses
[/LIST]
Link to more articles on this cult.

***A useful resource:
***shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/beginning-apologetics-2.5.jpg Beginning Apologetics Volume 2.5: Yes! You Should Believe In The Trinity: How To Answer Jehovah’s Witnesses

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.