Can you identify this chaplet?

A friend gave my sister what I thought was a rosary, until we looked closer and found a different configuration of beads, so I am assuming it is a chaplet. There are 54 beads on the loop, grouped as follows: 10, 1, 1, 3, 10, 1, 10, 1, 17

Can anyone help me identify this, please?

Thanks in advance,
Carol

What do the centerpiece and crucifix look like?

A chaplet, possibly, but I could find nothing close to it in “My Treasury of Chaplets” by Patricia Quintiliani. A specialty chaplet is determined by not only the number of beads but by the centerpiece and cross/medal. Color can also indicate the type of dedication.

Almost looks like a regular rosary that someone mis-strung! The more I look at it, the more I think that’s what happened. A package of rosary beads comes with 60 beads, and one is left over. If the three on the left are joined with seven on the right, the spacing is correct for a regular rosary.

HTH

Blessings,
Cloisters

Thank you, Cloisters.

I did wonder if maybe it was a regular 5 decade rosary that had broken and someone had just put it back together incorrectly. I looked carefully at the links between beads 10 & 11, and if it is a repair, someone did a great job re-closing the links. (they close snugly at the mouth of the bead) I am starting to think more and more that this is the case. It irks me that someone took the time and effort to repair the links so well and didn’t bother to put the pieces together correctly. :confused:

The beads of the rosary/chaplet are pink/white/marbled. I attached a picture of the centerpiece medallion in my original post, if you click on it, it will enlarge. (you can see the bead color in this picture, too) I believe it to be the Virgin Mother with the infant Jesus, who is old enough to have some hair on his head. It matches a bust at my mother’s house that I’ve adored since I was a child. :slight_smile: The crucifix is lovely, too. I just had my sister send me a picture of it and I will attach it here.

Thanks again,
Carol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.