Can you interpret this for me?

Isaiah 40:18** "With whom, then, will you compare God?
To what image will you liken him?"**

Need your help, I know you guys are more knowledgeable in interpreting scripture. Thanks a lot! :blessyou:

The context of the whole chapter seems to consider the incomparability of God to any earthly thing such as idols, earthly kingdoms, etc... God cannot be contained by such figures. He is, as we say in theology, "wholly other."

What a tremendously meaningful passage is Isaiah 40. To me it says that there is nothing that we humans can create, discover or even imagine that would compare to God. No idol or image that supposedly represents God does justice to the reality of God. In that passage Isaiah says that "nations count as a drop in the bucket" and that God "makes the rulers of the earth as nothing". It seems to address the feeling of self-importance and self-righteousness that many people have, as Isaiah puts them in their proper place, which is as a speck of dust before God.

To me the quoted passage and its context are not ambiguous at all, but mean exactly what they say. Nothing, absolutely nothing in creation, compares to God.

God cannnot be compared to anything, because He is above everything! Awesomeness, huh? :smiley:

[quote="CrispSnowflake, post:4, topic:331938"]
God cannnot be compared to anything, because He is above everything!

[/quote]

That's the point this passage seems to make! :D

God is way above us. The created world is inferior to God since he made it. IOW you can't compare God to anything since he is far greater than everything else.

Which is what, for the Jewish people who walked with and believed in Jesus, made the Incarnation so astounding and convincing: Colossians 1:15 - "He is the image of the unseen God" (see also 1 John 1:3)

Sally

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.