Can you please help me explain about Purgatory?

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me explain to an Evangelical the Catholic church’s teaching on purgatory. I know scripture says it is good and right to pray for the dead and that some will not enter heaven except through fire and also the quote about paying the last penny…paraphrasing here!!.. But my friend thinks that the scripture verse where Jesus tells the good thief, “today you will be with me in paradise” proves that he will not have to suffer time in purgatory for his crimes. I don’t know how to counteract this argument. Also, my friend believes that Jesus’ suffering on the cross was sufficient for our salvation so why would we have to pay for past sins in purgatory that Jesus already suffered for. Also that no amount of praying that WE do for the dead does any good because salvation comes from God. Please help me explain this.

Thanks,

Janet

The following links should help answer your questions about Purgatory. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*] Purgatory
*] The Roots of Purgatory
*]Do Catholics still believe in purgatory?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.