Can you pray for me? I'm considering joing the military

I have been struggling with the decision of joining the military, specifically the army or the national guard. I have two years before I can enlist. There’s times where I’m like I want to do this and I can do this, but then there are also times where I’m like there is no way I would make it through basic training (both physically and mentally) and there’s no way I could leave my family. I wish I could just decide, but I can’t. I’ve been praying that somehow I will just figure out what is best, but I don’t feel like I have the closest relationship with God and that he is hearing my prayers. I want to join because I want to make something of myself and so many soldiers who have come home from serving say they have learned so much about themselves. They stop taking things for granted, stop planning things and just let things happen. I want that. I want to experience that. But at the same time, it’s scary to think about going overseas, how and if I could handle basic training, being away from my family for so long, and trying to stay sane when I come home. I just wanted to know if anyone would be willing to pray for me that I figure out what is best and if it’s God’s will for me to serve in the military, that I have the strength to do that. Thanks!

Praying that you make the best decision

Retired U.S. Marine Praying for you…be not afraid of success or of failure (in the secular world)…rely only on the Lord and the power of his Holy Spirit’s grace to help you accomplish his will.

If you want to go into the military…tell the Lord what you want…why…how important it is for you…and ask him for his blessing and grace to get in and be successful…always ending with “…not my will, but…thy will be done.” Remember, he is your Father…yes your Lord and God…but it was very, very important, to Jesus his only begotten Son, to make you understand that you are (through the Paschal Mystery and the sacrament of baptism) his adopted child…remember the Prodigal Son parable…is truely a parable about our benevolent and loving Father (Lk 15: 11-32).

IF you are near a military base…call the base and ask for the priest-chaplain…to see if you can stop in and talk with him about your situation. I can’t say enough great things about these incredible men who give up everything to follow Christ and serve his Church…and then give up even more to serve the men and women even in “harms way” (as well as the military members’ families) in the military

Pax Christi

Father, whatever choice of life and career that this young person makes, please give healthy and wholesome growth to him
May Your loving grace be with him always regardless of his choice.

Of course I will pray for you. I admire your courage to consider defending our country. We need more guys and girls to do that.

Dear Lord Jesus,
Please guide itstough216 in his decision to join the armed forces. Give him the strength to stand up and fight for the honor, glory, and freedom of our country. Please send the Holy Spirit to protect him. Keep him safe from all evil and harm, and bless his family as they wait for his safe return. If he does not chose to enlist, please grant him the wisdom to make the right choices. Let whatever he does glorify Your name forever. We ask this through our Blessed Mother, and St. Joan of Arc, patroness of soldiers.

Amen.

Thanks everyone! That means a lot. Just wanted to let you know, though, that I am a girl. Thanks again!

ooops I’m sorry.

But still, that makes it all the more awesome.

God Bless

Becoming a soldier IS a secular vocation.

I’m a vet and my husband is still active…we’ve been both Army and Guard.

Call a guard recuiter…no kidding. He may let you look through the ASVAB stugy guide (a battery of tests that is supposed to tell the Army and you what your skill set is). Perhaps he can set you up with a state/local BTOC (Basic Training Orientation Course) in your area. You may also have the chance to hang out at a DEP-per (Delayed Entry Program) weekend.

Or, depending on how “hooah” he or she is, the recruiter may call the readiness NCO of a local unit so you can spend a weekend when the soldiers drill. Most likely you’ll be following a soldier around, and immersed in the culture, albeit it is NOT like Active Duty.

Here’s a short litany:

Lord, have mercy on us. Christ have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us. Christ, hear us. Christ graciously hear us.
God, the Father of heaven, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.

St. Acacius, pray for us.
St. Adrian of Nicomedia, pray for us.
St. Faith, pray for us.
St. Francis, pray for us.
St. George, pray for us.
St. Ignatius of Loyola, pray for us.
St. James the Greater, pray for us.
St. Joan of Arc, pray for us.
St. Louis IX, pray for us.
St. Martin of Tours, pray for us.
St. Margharita, pray for us.
St. Maurice, pray for us.
St. Michael the Archangel, pray for us.
St. Sebastian, pray for us.
St. Stanislaus of Cracow, pray for us.
St. Teresa of Avila (who wanted to go off fighting the Moors!), pray for us.
St. Theodore Stratelates, pray for us.
St. Philip Neri, pray for us.
St. Maurice, pray for us.

Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, graciously hear us O Lord
Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

V. Pray for us, O holy saints, blessed, disciples, and apostles who fought for righteousness, and help us to keep our tongues from second-guessing our superiors and our wits about us to use our training when necessary,
R. That through your intercession we may be ready to understand how we may serve God through this secular vocation.

Let us pray: Grant, we beseech Thee, O Lord God, unto us Thy servants, that we may rejoice in continual health of mind and body; and, by the glorious intercession of saints who were soldiers, sailors, and other crusaders, that we may be discern your will for us, and by the merits of Christ enter into the joy of Thine eternal gladness. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

And one last word of advice: start running/jogging. It will help clear your head and condition your body.

This former sailor is praying for the Holy Spirit to guide you in making your decision!

In the face of your enemies, in the face of harassment, ridicule, and doubt, you held firm in your faith. Even in your abandonment, alone and without friends, you held firm in your faith. Even as you faced your own mortality, you held firm in your faith. I pray thatitstough216 may be as bold in her beliefs as you, St. Joan. I ask that you ride alongside her in her battles. Help her to be mindful that what is worthwhile can be won when she persists. Help her hold firm in the faith. Help her to believe in her ability to act well and wisely. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.