Can you recommend a saint?

Hi. I teach R.E. to fourth graders, who are mostly indifferent. In the past couple of weeks though, God has really got hold of one of my boys. Most of my students are Hispanic; one of the goals in class is to teach them the major Catholic prayers in English. They had all been brushing off this effort, but now this boy has worked hard to learn the prayers in English. He is getting really involved in class, asking questions and working seriously to learn about our wonderful Faith. He is even thinking about becoming a priest.

So, what I was wondering, is does anyone know a story about a saint like that - someone that was really just lukewarm, doing just what they had to, and then God set their soul on fire for Him? I don’t think I’m doing very well writing this, but I want to give this boy something to inspire him and help as we only have a few more classes before summer vacation (5 or 6 classes left I think). I think his enthusiasm is a beautiful gift from God and I want to encourage it.

By the way, this is the first year I have taught R.E., as I just came in to Church myself at Easter 2008.

Saint John Bosco comes to mind. Not lukewarm by any means but a great model for boys.
Saint Augustin would also be a good Saint.
Their are so many, go to New Advent.com and check the list.
God Bless you for taking such a interest in this youngster.

Recommend a saint?:hmmm:

St. John Vianney and the story about how he became a priest is really good. Here is a link so you can see the book I recommend.

fatimashoppe.org/item.asp?PID=380

God bless

Hello,

**My name is Shenecka and I am trying to get any suggestions to finding a saint for what I am doing. I am going throught RCIA classes to convert into being Catholic. I have practiced Catholic religion for 13 years, and decided to know convert. Could you please give me some ideas of who would be a good saint for me to pick? **

Shenecka

It is good to pick a saint who has something in common with you, one who excelled in a virtue you are trying to grow in, one with interests or life or profession similar to yours, one who overcame faults you are trying to overcome, etc.

There are thousands of canonized saints; you can’t go wrong! But if you tell us a little about yourself, perhaps one will come to mind.

For women and girls, you can’t go wrong with the Blessed Virgin Mary.

A little about me…let me see…that would take a little more than this page…lolol.
I would have to say that I am a woman who loves her family and would do anything to keep it together. I am really not a person that follows through with things, but this right here, as far as becoming Catholic, I have stuck with after 3 times of trying. All I am trying to do is make it to where I need to be, and don’t know very much about many of the saints. My son has been baptized and he picked the Virgin of Guadalupe due to his grandmother having a say so. I guess you can say that I am the type of person who would like to help others, and don’t, but at least thinks about it, but never has tried unless called upon. I have heard of Saint Elizabeth. I thought that would be a saint I could consider. A friend of mine told me about Padre Pio, but I am not too familiar with him. HELP PLEASE!!

Shenecka

A little about me…let me see…that would take a little more than this page…lolol.
I would have to say that I am a woman who loves her family and would do anything to keep it together. I am really not a person that follows through with things, but this right here, as far as becoming Catholic, I have stuck with after 3 times of trying. All I am trying to do is make it to where I need to be, and don’t know very much about many of the saints. My son has been baptized and he picked the Virgin of Guadalupe due to his grandmother having a say so. I guess you can say that I am the type of person who would like to help others, and don’t, but at least thinks about it, but never has tried unless called upon. I have heard of Saint Elizabeth. I thought that would be a saint I could consider. A friend of mine told me about Padre Pio, but I am not too familiar with him. HELP PLEASE!!

Shenecka

There are actually several saints named Elizabeth: for example, Mary’s relative who is the mother of John the Baptist; Saint Elizabeth of Hungary; and Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. It sounds like you have a lot in common with Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. She was:
[LIST]
*]an adult convert to the Catholic faith;
*]a mother (she had five children);
*]very interested in helping others (which she accomplished by starting schools).
[/LIST]
And, since she was widowed at a young age, she probably knows a lot about keeping a family together.

One of the things I like best about her is how she was attracted to the Catholic Church (from her Episcopalian roots) by the Eucharist. I hope you are longing to receive Jesus as you prepare to enter the Catholic Church!

You can find information on her at these websites:
saints.sqpn.com/saint-elizabeth-ann-seton/
saints.sqpn.com/ceste04.htm
cin.org/saints/td0104.html
catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=180
domestic-church.com/CONTENT.DCC/19980101/SAINTS/STESETON.HTM
pitt.edu/~eflst4/seton2.html
setonshrine.org/bio/bio.htm
ewtn.com/library/MARY/ELIZSETN.htm
setonchurch.org/patronsaint.html

If she doesn’t seem like quite the right “fit” for you, let me know and I’ll try again.

Hi Shenecka,
First of, I am so happy you’ve decided to become a Catholic. I hope God will send many great blessings your way.

I’d reccomend St. Therese of Liseaux, or the Little Flower. She couldn’t do much, but the little things she did do brought her closer to Jesus.

littleflower.org/

I hope this helps and good luck.

-Jeanne

As for the little boy, I’d reccomend Gabriel of Our Lady of the Sorrows. I was watching a program on EWTN about him, and he seems like a good match:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_of_Our_Lady_of_Sorrows

My suggestion is St. Dominic Savio… who was a student of St. John Bosco. He died when he was only 15, and now Patron Saint of Youth (choir/altar boys).

Here is a link you can read about St. Dominic Savio.

2heartsnetwork.org/Savio.htm

Another suggestion, Blessed Francisco Marto (one of the Fatima Visionaries).

saints.sqpn.com/saintf33.htm

God bless.

St. Francis of Assisi and St. Ignatius of Loyola are other good examples of men who led worldly lives, not much interested in their faith, but who had a conversion experience that led to their ardent following of Christ.

Ignatius wrote a short Autobiography that is widely available. The story goes that he was a brave soldier, injured in battle. While he was recovering from his wounds, he started to read spiritual books (probably a life of Christ of Ludolph of Saxony and stories of the saints) and decided to be a soldier of Christ. He eventually founded the Society of Jesus (Jesuits).

It’s pretty amazing how God can turn bad boys around and make them saints!

When you say ‘I have practiced Catholic religion for 13 years’, what do you mean by that? I hope, as a non-Catholic, you haven’t been receiving Communion at Catholic Mass or receiving the sacrament of Confession without being instructed on that sacrament, or anything - you’re not supposed to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.