Can you return to the Catholic Church with this marital history?

1. Her current husband (we’ll call him Tom, because that’s his name) was not raised Catholic, his first marriage was not in the Catholic Church.

2. I’m not sure about his former wife, but I’m pretty sure she is still alive.

3. Of course, Tom and his first wife divorced prior to my sister, Rita, marrying him.

4. By the time of their marriage, Rita was already a non-practicing Catholic.

5. She has never joined another faith, has always been a ‘believer’, but did not align herself with any other religion and did not particpate in any other faith community.

6. I’m not even sure her current husband is baptized at all, my guess is ‘yes’, but not in the Catholic faith.

7. At this point, Tom is not interested in joing the Catholic Church, but is supportive of Rita re-joining.

I hope there is some way for her to come back, she’s praying the rosary, reading about the Saints, going to Mass, can’t wait to receive the Eucharist again, etc.

She already has her ‘first’ Reconciliation ready to go. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to help her back and praying there is a way.

God bless,
-John

These links should help answer your questions. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Why do I need an annulment before becoming Catholic?

Is annulment necessary?
Why can’t I be forgiven for marrying my first husband?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.