Can you show me the Scriptural basis of Salve Regina?

Hello

What is the Scriptural basis of the prayer, Salve, Regina, please?

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy,
Our life, our sweetness and our hope.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve;
to thee do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.

Turn then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us;
and after this our exile,
show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

℣ Pray for us O holy Mother of God,
℟ that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

To my reckoning, this prayer both identifies with and ascribes to Mother Mary the Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I recall reading in Cardinal Suenen’s book, “A New Pentecost?” how the Church came to attribute to her the ministry of the Holy Spirit as a result of a vacuum of teaching on the latter. I certainly have no problem with asking for the intercession of hers, but, to my reckoning, there is only one Advocate between God and man: the Lord Jesus Christ, who is our Life and whose graces are mediated to us by the Holy Spirit alone. He alone is also the sole Revealer of our Saviour to humankind, while a human being can be an agent of His.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Dear friend,

“Hail holy Queen!” The Father sent Gabriel to greet her with “Hail, full of grace!” As the mother of the Son, she IS the mother of Mercy and as the Spouse of the Holy Spirit, she IS a queen! Her “Let it be done to me as you have said” are the sweetest words uttered by a human being up until that moment because they ushered in the arrival of the Messiah. In doing that, she was and is our life and hope. She certainly shares in His mission in a unique way. For centuries the human race had been longing for His coming. The Father chose her for the greatest honor a human being could possibly have. As you seem to know, it is because Jesus is Almighty God, that she is so exalted.

Friend, it is essential that we not forget that any hyperbole that the Church uses in its prayers is simply the language of love.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.