Can you still take Communion if you are in a mixed marriage?

Say that I marry a Lutheran or just a general Christian. So I have the Catholic church perform a mixed religion ceremony. Do I have the right, as a Catholic, to take communion every Sunday as a Catholic married couple would? Or would it be a sin for me to take communion? I know how the Catholice Church does not allow you to take communion as a couple only married through the state and not the church, but I am confused of how it is with mixed religions???

Hi,

Technically, Catholics don’t “take” Communion, they “receive” it. It is given. A Catholic who is married to a non-Catholic in the Catholic Church may receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church only. His or her non-Catholic spouse may not receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. One must be committed to all that the Catholic Church teaches in order to receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church–which means being a Catholic. The Eucharist, the sacrament of the Lord’s passion and death, is at the very core what it means to be a Catholic. We don’t take it lightly.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O. P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.