Canada: 2006 Election Issues

Canada: 2006 Election Issues

There are five major parties running in this election which takes place on 23 January 2006:

Liberals
Conservatives
New Democratic Party
Bloq Quebecois
Green

Each of the following pages provides compare/contrast of the parties on the issues:

Aboriginal Rights
Crime
Defence
Democratic Reform
Education
Environment
Foreign Policy
Government Accountability
Gun Registry
Health Care
Immigration
Marijuana
Municipalities
Same Sex Marriage
Taxes
Trade

Sum it up for us. Who should we be rooting for?

[quote=Brad]Sum it up for us. Who should we be rooting for?
[/quote]

You don’t even have to look at the ‘official’ issues to know that. The only definitive carved-in-stone issue for Catholics is abortion. Note that abortion appears nowhere on the issues list.

I did get the Conservative candidate in our riding to promise that Dr Henry Morgentaler (an abortionist) will not be awarded the Order of Canada under a Conservative government. That is a major concession in this climate.

Fr de Volk of Catholic Insight has also written to Conservative leader Stephen Harper putting his support behind the no same-sex marriage position.

Myself, I am thinking of emailing CTV, Fr de Volk, and Stephen Harper and asking that abortion be placed on the issues list.

But, where a Chrisian Heritage Party candidate is not running, then Conservatives is the choice for Catholics.

Saw this article out on Lifesitenews.com:

Adscam Liberals Don’t Trust Canadian Parents With Child-Care Dollars
Another Liberal spokesman unbelievably puts foot in mouth when asked about Reid’s “beer and popcorn” remark
By John-Henry Westen

OTTAWA, December 12, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Ironically, the very political party that has been caught red-handed squandering millions of dollars has come out publicly saying Canadian parents cannot be trusted with child-care dollars

Full Story

PF

Unfortunately, abortion will not even be a blip on the radar in this election. ANY talk of changing the abortion laws in this country brings insant demonization in the popular media and makes any hope of winning the election evaporate. In fact, anything that hints at social conservatism in this very highly secularized country has the same effect. That’s what caused the Conservatives’ lead to evaporate in the last election.

Like it or not, this is something that is going to take years to bring the abortion issue to the fore again. Before we can ever hope to make it a viable political issue, as opposed to a one-way ticket to political exile, we need to make it an issue in the Canadian conscience, a conscience dominated currently by secular humanist values. The way to do this is not through political parties and election campaigns but rather in direct appeals to individual Canadians, letters to the editors, etc. We will never get politicians in parties with a hope of gaining power to take up the abortion issue until we can get Canadians to want them to. Politicians are above all pragmatic when it comes to electioneering.

We have a choice - we can demand the Conservatives make this an issue in this election and get more years of Liberal rule because the conscience of the nation has not been pricked - or we can work towards getting the Conservatives elected and begin moving this country back towards traditional values. The latter route may seem ardurous, but it brings a swifter hope of success than forcing the abortion issue in an election climate that is strongly opposed to revisiting the matter.

The pendulum has swung a long way here, we cannot get it back instantly but must first stop its upward swing so that it can begin to swing back.

[quote=Lapsed]We have a choice - we can demand the Conservatives make this an issue in this election and get more years of Liberal rule because the conscience of the nation has not been pricked - or we can work towards getting the Conservatives elected and begin moving this country back towards traditional values. The latter route may seem ardurous, but it brings a swifter hope of success than forcing the abortion issue in an election climate that is strongly opposed to revisiting the matter.
[/quote]

I have been giving this some thought. You are right. I have my guarantee from the CPC candidate in Toronto Centre that Morgentaler will not be awarded the Order of Canada. That is concession enough for me this time around.

Meanwhile have you looked at the rest of the CPC’s stands on the issues? Truly astonishing, forward thinking, concrete, simple.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Saw this article out on Lifesitenews.com: PF
[/quote]

I know! The cheek of the Liberals to insult heads of families by questioning their ability to responsibly manage funds. People have forgotten the HRDC scandal and I am beginning to think they have even forgotten the Sponsorhsip scandal. Sometimes I really wonder about Canadians.

Ah the anti-Conservative CBC spin has started already. The spin seems to be that Harper would lead Canada into Iraq even though he has just said that he won’t. How does that work? The spin is that the Liberals are about how to use the equipment as opposed to how much equipment we have. What sophistry! How can our troops use non-existent equipment? How can they use equipment which fails in the middle of combat? Canada ostensibly invented ‘peacekeeping’ yet we are 33rd in the world in terms of our peacekeeping track record. Sheesh, we should have dismantled the CBC not the airbourne.

Looks like a NDP supporter is getting real nasty:

“If Jesus Returns, Kill Him Again” says NDP Supporting Atheist Campaigner
By Hilary White

BURNABY, December 13, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A British Columbia man, David Bedford, has undertaken a personal campaign against the presence Christianity in public life in general and the Conservative Party of Canada in particular, claiming that a vote for Stephen Harper’s Conservatives is a vote for “religious extremism.”

Claiming to be an NDP supporter, Bedford irritated police across Canada last week by setting up websites with names similar to those of local police units that automatically redirect visitors to the NDP campaign website.

Full Story

What I find egregious is this:

A spokesman for the Regina police said an enquiry is likely but police did not specify if Bedford’s anti-Christian campaign would be investigated under the hate crimes statutes.

If this was against any other group, this person would be in jail in Canada for “hate crimes”

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Looks like a NDP supporter is getting real nasty:What I find egregious is this:If this was against any other group, this person would be in jail in Canada for “hate crimes”

PF
[/quote]

Thanks for this Wander. I’ll refer this to the Catholic Civil Rights League. It would help if yall also referred it to them. Here is their email address:

Joanne McGarry - Executive Director - joanne.mcgarry@ccrl.ca

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.