Canada Orders Pastor to Renounce His Faith

tinyurl.com/5ewj5p

Canada Orders Pastor to Renounce His Faith

In a decision that foreshadows the possible fate of Fr. Alphonse de Valk, Canada’s leading pro-life voice among Catholic clergy, the Alberta Human Rights Tribunal has forbidden evangelical pastor Stephen Boisson from expressing his moral opposition to homosexuality. The tribunal also ordered Boisson to pay $5,000 “damages for pain and suffering” and apologize to the “human rights” activist who filed the complaint.

The complaint stems from Canada’s debate leading up to state legislation recognizing so-called same-sex marriage. In 2002, the pastor wrote a letter to the editor of his local newspaper in which he denounced the homosexual agenda as “wicked” and stated that: “Children as young as five and six years of age are being subjected to psychologically and physiologically damaging pro-homosexual literature and guidance in the public school system; all under the fraudulent guise of equal rights.”

The activist subsequently filed a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission — a quasi-judicial body that investigates alleged discrimination within the Canadian province. The government tribunal published its decision albertahumanrights.ab.ca/Lund_Darren_Remedy053008.pdf]
on May 30.

Do read the Commission’s ruling, it is scary. I’ll take my chances with Pres. Bush, Sec’y. Chertoff and the Patriot Act as long as we can keep out these HRCs.

How long until selling the Catechism is illegal in Canada? It says homosexuality is “disordered” right there in print, bold as brass.

they just haven’t found the catechism yet…

I’ve heard the bible referred to as the “biggest hate speech book there is”, how’s that for scary?

Just wondering - it’s a matter of time before one of our Bishops is going to be jailed. Will we just let him sit and rot, or will Catholics rally?

Judging from the way bishops occasionally get treated here at CAF, I suppose it would depend on which bishop was involved! :wink:

The title of the article is overblown. While the decision of the Alberta HRC treads unnecessarily on freedom of expression, it does not require the pastor to make any statements retracting his previous statements or actions.

Moreover, I think Christianity is fundamentally about Christ and not about homosexuality. Again, I think the title of the article is overblown. The pastor is not being asked to renounce Christ.

Yes it does, it requires him to write an apology for his original statements and publish said apology in the same paper that published his original letter. That is in essence telling him to deny his faith and say that his faith is wrong.

1. The Panel finds, and the Panel orders as follows:

c. That Mr. Boissoin and The Concerned Christian Coalition Inc. provide Dr. Lund with a written apology for the article in the Red Deer Advocate which was the subject of this complaint.

d. That Mr. Boissoin and The Concerned Christian Coalition Inc. shall request the Red Deer Advocate publish a copy this Order in the Red Deer Advocate and that they request their written apology for the contravention of the Act be published in the Red Deer Advocate.

Ah! Thank you, I didn’t read the ruling itself, only the article about it. I stand corrected. And this is, indeed, a wrong decision.

Can the ruling be appealed or overturned?

The heck with appealing. Just ignore the them

I guess we need to prepare to be persecuted.

I would like to know if the pastor’s remarks on homosexuality are only “illegal” if made in public, i.e. published in a newspaper?

Would the pastor’s same remarks be considered “protected” if made in a sermon inside church?

In a decision that foreshadows the possible fate of Fr. Alphonse de Valk, Canada’s leading pro-life voice among Catholic clergy, the Alberta Human Rights Tribunal has forbidden evangelical pastor Stephen Boisson from expressing his moral opposition to homosexuality. The tribunal also ordered Boisson to pay $5,000 “damages for pain and suffering” and apologize to the “human rights” activist who filed the complaint.

Did I read this correctly? They fined him for voicing his opinion in a newspaper?? Or did I miss something?

The thread title is misleading, nowhere does anything say anything about "renouce"ing anything. What is being discussed is his words he used to talk about his beliefs.

The complaint stems from Canada’s debate leading up to state legislation recognizing so-called same-sex marriage. In 2002, the pastor wrote a letter to the editor of his local newspaper in which he denounced the homosexual agenda as “wicked” and stated that: “Children as young as five and six years of age are being subjected to **psychologically and physiologically damaging **pro-homosexual literature and guidance in the public school system; all under the fraudulent guise of equal rights.”

How you say it means everything. This is a letter which moves towards inciting prejudice towards others and slanders groups with a broad brush. This goes against the Catholic Teachings about treating homosexuals with respect. This is not respectful at all.

It is sad if someone defines their “Faith” with language like this. :frowning:

He wrote a letter to the editor which prompted a complaint by a gay activist to the Alberta Human Rights Commission. We can’t read the letter now because every website that had it has taken it down due to the findings of the AHRC that it promoted hatred against homosexuals.

I’ve thought a lot about this in the last few weeks, given the changing attitudes of people on campus, and all the recent litigations. Even if you are for or against homosexuality, it should be immediately apparent the inappropriateness of this ruling, as well as the attack on freedom of speech.

I’ve reflected on what i would do if i were in this situation, and resolved that i wouldn’t pay out any money, wouldn’t apologise for exercising my right to speech, and would in fact take it all the way to me going to jail. I am sure many would rally to support me, and whoever else is swept up in the mess.

I would support our bishops, and it is only because of these fear mongering tactics that they really don’t speak up.

I would go to jail before I would make a public apology for saying what the Holy Catholic church teaches. For to renounce the teachings of the Church is to renounce the Faith.

Every time I hear the phrase “hate speech” I think of the book 1984 by George Orwell. The word itself sounds like doublespeak if you ask me…
Orwell really did have a point when he said that "freedom was the freedom to say that two plus two equals four."
It just goes to show you that our loss of freedom in general begins when our freedom to tell the truth is suppressed.

:frowning:

It’s election time folks. Time to make a difference.

There is more on this story:

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/jun/08060902.html

I’m glad to be living in America, where even hate-filled demogogues have the right to spew their venom without fear of arrest. I’m not being sarcastic; unless we let the worst of people speak their mind, we don’t have freedom of speech.

That being said, this pastor is certainly not in agreement with the Church on homosexuals. But he has a right to say what he says, offensive as it might be.

Pay attention folks in the U.S. This could be a preview of coming attractions in this country.

And some of us are going to have to go to jail to defend our freedoms here in Canada.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.