Canada will get gender-neutral national anthem

sfgate.com/local/politics/article/Canada-will-get-gender-neutral-national-anthem-7966292.php

Canadian here- I think it’s a subtle and appropriate change.

What about the French version? There are no gender-neutral pronouns (or nouns for that matter) in French.

I’m not in Quebec and don’t know the French version, so I can’t speak to that.

As an aside though, the anthem used to be gender neutral before they added the sons part around WW1.

The English version is not a direct translation French version which was composed first, some 26 years before the English.

The stanza in question in English is

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love
in all thy sons command.

In the original French anthem, it is:

O Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.

The same goes for the rest of the anthem.

Actually, when talking about mixed or unknown groups in French, one uses the male gender. In other words, there is no difference between males and no gender (Sorry, too many years talking French). The word for it and he is ‘il’.

O brother. What next.

I guess people will just have to refrain from doing as dictated. Confusing for children.

It’s isn’t exactly changing the words of the Bible…

Not completely true, to some extent, Belgian and Canadian French do have gender neutral terms.

What has** humankind **come to?

As someone who knows some French, that seems to be a “dynamic equivalence” translation. The French text has no gendered pronouns. Still, the move strikes me as a little PC. :hmmm:

Canada=PC

Nuts to that.

It’s not my country, therefore, I have no reason for an opinion.

However, given that God is Canadian (‘utmost north’ according to Scripture) one wonders how He feels about this silliness:):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Exactly.

And why? Why does the whole world need to have everything gender neutral, as if we are all the same? We aren’t!!

I think you mean “O sibling.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I would have preferred “thou dost in us command” which is the original, but I suppose their phrase is the modern English equivalent.

Is it really that bad to bring something closer to the original version?

Huh.

Just like English.

:yukonjoe:
tee

Though I would say there is no difference between men and no gender – ***males ***is gender exclusive.

The French is not a translation of the English. The French version was composed first in 1880. The first English version was composed in its own right in 1906. The current English version, in 1908.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Canada

It’s not about that at all, it’s about including both genders in the anthem. Why is that a bad thing? It just makes it closer to the original version anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.