Canadian-based Scot among five women Pope appoints to the International Theological Commission

Glasgow University graduate Professor Moira McQueen is one of the 30 new appointments made to the International Theological Commission

Professor Moira McQueen is among of a number of women and non-Europeans appointed by Pope Francis to the commission, which is tasked with helping the Holy See and the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith examine doctrinal questions of major importance.

The new appointments will serve on the ninth term of the commission, which will run from 2014-2019.

Full report, including list of new appointments: sconews.co.uk/news/40279/scot-among-five-women-pope-appoints-to-the-international-theological-commission/

I think this is good news, and I hope it continues the great Catholic tradition of female contributors to theology. Throughout the ages, examples include:

From the period 100 - 300 A.D.

The Desert Mothers, especially St. Syncletica of Alexandria

From the period 300 - 500 A.D.

St. Macrina the Younger, who helped form St. Gregory of Nyssa in theology and is cited by him as an authority on theological matters

St. Pulcheria, the Byzantine empress who helped accomplish the Third and Fourth Ecumenical Councils (see “The Woman Who Saved Orthodoxy – Twice” by Catholic Exchange)

From the period 500 - 700 A.D.

The abbesses of early France and England, especially St. Hilda of Whitby

From the period 900 - 1100 A.D.

The nuns of the Holy Roman Empire, especially Roswitha of Gandersheim

From the period 1100 - 1300 A.D.

St. Hildegard of Bingen, the Doctor of the Church

From the period 1300 - 1500 A.D.

St. Catherine of Siena, the Doctor of the Church

From the period 1500 - 1600 A.D.

St. Theresa of Avila, the Doctor of the Church

From the period 1800 - 1900 A.D.

St. Theresa of Lisieux, the Doctor of the Church

Women play a very significant role in Church History, including in theological matters. I am glad Pope Francis is trying to continue this tradition.

Don’t forget the most important female contributor to Christian theology, Our Blessed Mother:

Do whatever He tells you to do.” [John 2:5] :thumbsup:

I’d add Catherine of Genoa to the list. I thought that she was considered a Doctor of the Church but I guess I was wrong. In any case, her book on Purgatory is very influential. It literally changed the way I think about death and judgement. She was also a married woman.

I too think this is good news.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.