Canadian bishops: legalization of assisted suicide is ‘appalling landmark’ [CC]

The president of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops has issued a statement denouncing the legalization of assisted suicide and euthanasia.

More…

No offense, but I guess you’ve never seen or worked with someone bedridden with contractures, on thickened liquids and strict purée diet because of choking and swallowing difficulty, who lays in bed all day due to disease and is fully cognitively aware of what’s going on.

Or a patient who had 4 strokes, in a vegetative state, bedridden, with a G-tube and a tracheotomy with frequent gI bleeds and trachea suctioning needed due to fluid in the lungs who if they are not suctioned frequently can choke to death on there own secretions. Not to mention the frequent, and necessary, suctioning that irritates the trachea causing it too bleed daily. This person is still alive, as far as I know but in the state they’re in, I predict sepsis and pneumonia will be there downfall :frowning:

Or a patient in chronic pain from bone disease, severe arthritis, etc… with high doses of narcotics, like I’m talking 250 mg of fentanyl and 75 mg of oxycodon (had a patient on this once, along with plenty more) that STILL leaves them with pain level of 3 or 4, on a good day!

I know assisted suicide to the church is bad, but is it really necessary to continue letting someone suffer like I’ve described if they decide enough is enough. I know it’s easy for those who have never witnessed the suffering I’ve described to say yes, but when you’ve witnessed what these people who meet the requirements of assisted suicide go through daily, it really gets tricky and keeps you wondering. Why God are you allowing this person to live like THAT, it’s in humane and cruel. Why don’t You just end there suffering already? :frowning:

You know?

I’m a nurse by the way, in case you didn’t figure that out by my examples given.

The problem with appealing to sentimental theology is that it relies on extreme, rarest-of-the-rare cases.

We’ve seen that with abortion. “What would you Catholic monsters do in the case of an 11-year-old with AIDS and Crohn’s disease who was impregnated by her molester of a step-father, and who also has an addiction to 50 Cent’s music?”

Unfortunately, in the real world, most abortions are not obtained for such reasons. And even if they were, is the death of an innocent child going to cure AIDS and Crohn’s, solve the problem of child sexual abuse, and rid the world of the scourge that is rap music? :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately, the Catholic message and teachings about suffering are often rejected in favour of secular thinking.

Once we grant “rarest-of-the-rare” case exceptions, it’s down the slippery slope. We’ve seen it happen with abortion. We cannot sit silently and let it happen again. Good for the Canadian Bishops. :thumbsup:

(And really, our medical or other qualifications are irrelevant to the simple question of whether killing is wrong. As the late, great John Hardon said, a child who accepts God’s teachings is wiser than a professor who does not. :()

Without Christ, suffering amounts to sheer lunacy.

I was shocked when I heard some of the criticisms of Mother Teresa from Christopher Hitchens. Legitimacy of specific points are a topic for another discussion. The main point is that she created a home for the dying. They picked them up off the streets, in order to help them feel loved. That’s at least an attempt to walk with someone in their suffering. I don’t think it’s difficult to understand, at all, why she went through such a dark night. People who accompany others in their suffering are taking on Simon of Cyrene’s role. It’s difficult to see the light when we’re so close to the cross. Suffering is a profound and vexing mystery.

Sorry for waxing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.