Canadian doctors barred from performing ‘virginity tests’

foxnews.com/health/2013/10/13/canadian-doctors-barred-from-performing-virginity-tests/

What galls me is that it took 200 years to overturn this disgusting practice. What's next, the APA to discourage the practice of drilling a hole in a mental patient to release the evil spirits?

:thumbsup:

Now this is something that everyone should be able to be happy about!

The father was very insistent about having the certificate, and to get rid of the problem, the doctor did it,” University of Montreal researcher Marie-Ève Bouthillier reportedly said.

They’re giving out certificates?:eek:

I'm assuming this ban would not be used to refuse to examine a minor child in order to determine if a sexual assault had taken place.

In some cultures, it is common for a groom to require that a bride be certified. The creepiest thing about the scenario, in my opinion, is that the FATHER was the one who wanted the certificate. If she’s not old enough to request her own examination, she’s not old enough to get married in the first place!

This story has Islam "the religion of peace" written all over it. Twisted. It amazes me that liberals will defend a religion that does things like this in the name of "diversity" and political correctness and prosecute for "hate speech" those who criticize it (in Canada - coming soon to America). Liberalism = mental disorder.

steynonline.com/4409/gagging-us-softly

Ishii

The Old Testament also mentions the use of bloodied sheets to testify to a bride’s virginity.

The worst thing about these tests is that they might not be accurate anyway…a small percentage of women are born without a hymen at all, and sometimes the hymen can break from non sexual activity like exercise.

Not to mention tampons! I’m glad these tests are banned; as you said, they’re not accurate and they’re used to demean the integrity of women.

I thought only Muslims performed "virginity tests".

That’s a big chunk of who immigrates to Canada these days. The article was VERY careful not to mention the ethnic, cultural or religious background of those asking for such exams. But be honest, when was the last time you heard about a Presbyterian “honor killing?” It’s Islamic. They’re who do such things.

This action might well save lives. If a father or a betrothed man finds that a woman is not a virgin, does that not put her square in the crosshairs of an “honor killing”?

Ishii is spot on about this being Islamic. For me the question is why haven’t Doctor’s reported this before and how long did it take for the Quebec government to act on it. It screams an abusive home and since teachers are required to report to authorities if a child is being abused, then so should a Doctor report who requests this.

[quote="Wildgraywolf, post:9, topic:342266"]
I thought only Muslims performed "virginity tests".

[/quote]

Didn't the Royal family have one done on Princess Di before marriage?

Yes, it’s directed at Muslims; we’ve had serious problems in this country with honour killings and some of the other more redeeming qualities that accompany Muslim immigration. Mind you, this is an initiative by the Quebec provincial government, which is aggressively secular, so I think the agenda is more born out of that than any desire to clamp down on Islamism in Canada. The federal Conservative government needs to step up and make this nation-wide.

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:11, topic:342266"]
This action might well save lives. If a father or a betrothed man finds that a woman is not a virgin, does that not put her square in the crosshairs of an "honor killing"?

[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking.
If I were a doctor and a father or fiance demanded a certificate I would provide one for her protection.

[quote="manualman, post:10, topic:342266"]
The article was VERY careful not to mention the ethnic, cultural or religious background of those asking for such exams. But be honest, when was the last time you heard about a Presbyterian "honor killing?" It's Islamic. .

[/quote]

While the article didn't specifically mention the religion/ethnicity of the family in question, it added this unrelated paragraph at the end:

The Gazette writes Canadian officials have focused on the issue of late, or since the bodies of four women of Afghan descent were discovered in Ontario in 2009. They were reportedly murdered by relatives in so-called “honor killings.”

By mentioning the Afghan (which we all know is an Islamic country) ethnicity of those women, it did indirectly make the connection to Islam.

In any event, I'm glad to see doctors banned from performing this practice.

I'm really astounded that Canada of all places would have Drs giving certificates of virginity.

[quote="SpidersfromMars, post:7, topic:342266"]
The Old Testament also mentions the use of bloodied sheets to testify to a bride's virginity.

[/quote]

Assuming of course, that the groom does not cut his finger to produce the blood.

Does anyone know the time frame of these "tests"? Are they usually done within a few days of a wedding?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.