Canadians traveling to Women's March denied US entry after sharing plans

theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/20/womens-march-canada-protesters-denied-entry-us

Would-be protesters heading to the Women’s March on Washington have said they were denied entry to the United States after telling border agents at a land crossing in Quebec their plans to attend the march.

Their cars were searched and their mobile phones examined. Each member of the group was fingerprinted and had their photo taken.

Border agents first told the two French citizens that they had been denied entry to the US and informed them that any future visit to the US would now require a visa.

“Then for the rest of us, they said, ‘You’re headed home today’,” Dyck said. The group was also warned that if they tried to cross the border again during the weekend, they would be arrested. “And that was it, they didn’t give a lot of justification.”

Good! I was denied entry into Canada years ago because I only had a one way bus ticket and not enough money. I was only 23. Looking back, I am thankful they were doing their jobs and did not let me cross. Glad to see our border guards are doing their jobs on our northern border.

If you don’t have a visa then you can’t cross the border. It’s as simple as that. If border security is not enforced then we may as well not even have a border to begin with.

Tend to agree with 7sorrows.

Maybe I’m looking at this wrong, but the article said the 2 French citizens were denied entry. Let’s see here… Someone not a u.s. voter is told rhey can’t come in to protest a u.s. vote? That’s an issue? Hey, if I went to, say, Germany to disrupt and/or protest something they were doing, should I expect to be given free access? I think not.

The article further contrasts that of the person who is allowed to enter 2009 for BO inauguration. Er, in what way is inaugural attendance the same as a protest?

I just love how things can become so twisted. Sigh.

Blessings,
Stephie

So, a couple of French citizens without Visas tried to cross the border illegally and a few other trouble makers were turned away making American Law Enforcements job just that much easier? Sounds like President Trumps America is going to be as great as promised :thumbsup:

Depends on your definition of great of course, cough. cough. I thought the US and France had a Visa waiver programme between them in place?

Well even with the waiver program they cannot just walk across the border. They still have to plan ahead and get required authorization.

Yep, my sister was denied entry to Canada because she had had a DUI in the previous 5 years. Must not want drunk drivers there. We need to secure our borders and why allow someone here solely to protest.

Mary.

Yeah, lets not continue to fall for the media’s attempts to incite us.

So what? I hardly think this is newsworthy. If they were from another US border, the same people would be cheering,

Sad.
I for one and praying that these types of “news” stories will stop. But drama sells. This is a tempest in a teapot.

Probably depends on those applying for visas whether they favor Trump or not. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, the last time I vacationed in Canada, I was asked three questions, one which was whether I was carrying a weapon of any kind. On coming back, it was full customs.

Can we also, while we’re at it, stop calling this the women’s March? Pro-choice Women’s March or Born Women’s March? Sure. But it cannot be called a Women’s March, as if it’s inclusive, when the organizers flat out rejected pro-life women from participating.

Do you have any basis for this outrageous statement?
Or are you just trying to bait the other posters? :rolleyes:

Good catch, yeah.

We’ll see how the press reports the March for Life next week.

I see a lot of threads here as baiting. Let the chips fall where they may.

This whole thing is such an embarrassment. I am actually ashamed of my gender. Well, no, not really, I am just very thankful I keep it in proper perspective: hint, yes, you can be a real flesh and blood woman with a mind, human dignity. Your biology/crotch does not define you. Oh, and you have a soul too. Thanks be to God.

They do. There is a problem for what ever reason when they cross over from Canada by car. The same thing happened to my cousin. She was in Canada from Italy, and then decided to visit New York. She was the only one not permitted in the US from the group. The Canadians were permitted entry. I’m not sure of the reason.

I would think it out of place if I went to Canada and protested against the premier of Canada. I think that they were doing is also not appropriate.

The Guardian article is false reporting. The title calls them Canadian, but they were French nationals. Canadian nationals could cross the border to march anywhere they wanted. But a person cannot legally use Canada or Mexico to enter the US from other countries without visa.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.