Cancer is funny? 'The Big C' on Showtime

I saw this in the newspaper and couldnt believe it-so glad I dont have Showtime i wouldnt ever pay for it!

:(

New TV series The Big C' finds humor in cancer
By CHUCK BARNEY
"The Big C," a provocative new offering from Showtime, could be a tough sell. It's a comedy - yes, a comedy - starring Laura Linney as an uptight Minneapolis school teacher diagnosed with terminal cancer. Are you laughing yet?

whole article here (which I didnt finish reading)
kansascity.com/2010/08/11/2142810/new-tv-series-the-big-c-finds.html

What cr_p.:sad_yes:

It sounds like it could be quite good. I'm curious as to what the previous two commenters are so offended by...

[quote="logic_oriented, post:3, topic:208925"]
It sounds like it could be quite good. I'm curious as to what the previous two commenters are so offended by...

[/quote]

I agree, I hope that if it should happen to me, I'd still approach life with humor and joie de vivre.

I don't have TV, but I'd watch it if it were on Hulu.

Miz

No. Cancer is no laughing matter. I lost my dog and almost lost my dad to cancer. Whoever made this movie is going straight to hell.

[quote="logic_oriented, post:3, topic:208925"]

[/quote]

Then it's obvious that cancer has never affected you or anyone you love. I pray that you never have to know.

Cancer is a glimpse of hell for anyone experienced with it, but that's a "laughing" matter too these days.

[quote="JackVk, post:5, topic:208925"]
No. Cancer is no laughing matter. I lost my dog and almost lost my dad to cancer. Whoever made this movie is going straight to hell.

[/quote]

Would you care to read the article before jumping to conclusions about the topic?

[quote="logic_oriented, post:8, topic:208925"]
Would you care to read the article before jumping to conclusions about the topic?

[/quote]

I read it now. Please excuse me.:o

[quote="Samson01, post:7, topic:208925"]
Cancer is a glimpse of hell for anyone experienced with it, but that's a "laughing" matter too these days.

[/quote]

As the article explicitly states at least once, and refers to again, cancer is not funny. That does not mean that somebody with cancer cannot experience funny situations, balanced by drama. One of the executive producers, who successfully battled breast cancer, has a great quote in the article discussing that.

[quote="JackVk, post:9, topic:208925"]
I read it now. Please excuse me.:o

[/quote]

Absolutely. And please excuse me for snapping, I'm sorry about your dog, and glad for your father.

[quote="logic_oriented, post:10, topic:208925"]
As the article explicitly states at least once, and refers to again, cancer is not funny. That does not mean that somebody with cancer cannot experience funny situations, balanced by drama. One of the executive producers, who successfully battled breast cancer, has a great quote in the article discussing that.

[/quote]

Still, there are people our there( i.e. the crew of Family Guy) who make fun of cancer patients, including children with cancer.:mad::mad::mad:

[quote="logic_oriented, post:10, topic:208925"]

[/quote]

Still think it as carp. You won't change my mind.:)

I don't have Showtime, so probably will not see this show. But I can tell you this: My sister had a brush with breast cancer in 2001. She had the lumpectomy, and daily radiation with another re-excision following that.

While she was going for radiation therapy, she became friends with two more women who were also patients, but in much more advanced stages of the disease. They, too, were undergoing radiation, and one of them was also receiving chemotherapy. I found out that they were receiving palliative treatment--designed to keep them as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

These two women, though, presented a face of humor to the world at large, no matter what their private struggles were. One of them eschewed the wigs designed to conceal hair loss, and instead wore the most outrageous costuming wigs she could find: One was a long Lady Godiva style wig, in fluorescent green. The other woman wore a turban and, shortly after the attacks of 9/11. a tee shirt that said, "I'm not a terrorist! I'm doing chemo!"

Even though their disease ultimately proved fatal, they showed tremendous courage, good cheer, and yes, humor in dealing with it. Grace under pressure. I don't know if either of them were women of faith, any faith, but I would strongly suspect it. Only faith could lead to that kind of acceptance.

And yes, humor in such dire circumstances told my sister that they were not dying, they were living until they drew their last breath.

Thankfully, some nine years later, my sister is still alive and well.

I'm 7 years out stage 3. I have seen alot, alot of people die from cancer. Sorry but I would smash the fing TV if it was on. But that's how I roll,lol.

In tragic situations, we MUST be able to laugh. There are funny situations even in the midst of tragedy. If we don't laugh, then all we are left with are tears.

From the article: "Cathy begins to live in a more carefree and boisterous manner. She digs up her yard for the swimming pool she always wanted, sets fire to the couch she always hated and generally behaves in ways that astound those around her..."

What is wrong with that? I have a couch that I have seriously thought about burning! My son is having a bonfire next weekend, so maybe...... :D

Just don't see the humor in toenails falling off, neuropathy, throwing up...I mean they are accurately representing it right? Are they going to show the times when patients are on theirs knee's begging not to die this way after throwing up breakfast? I mean, not everyone is a hero.

[quote="Samson01, post:17, topic:208925"]
Just don't see the humor in toenails falling off, neuropathy, throwing up...I mean they are accurately representing it right? Are they going to show the times when patients are on theirs knee's begging not to die this way after throwing up breakfast? I mean, not everyone is a hero.

[/quote]

I doubt we'll see much of that in the first season (though probably a little bit), but if the show keeps going I would be very surprised if they didn't explore much of that. From what I've seen, Showtime doesn't shy away from darker subject matter, nor do they make light of it, but rather use it and humor as counterpoints to each other. It's obvious from reading the article that they are aware of just how fine a balance they need to strike with this show, now we'll see if they can pull it off. I'm not saying they will, it's an incredible challenge, but I certainly can't think of anybody else who could take a better shot at it.

[quote="Samson01, post:17, topic:208925"]

[/quote]

But there IS humor in other things going on! That is the point! Yes, there is great pain and tragedy, so when the funny stuff happens, you just have to LAUGH!

A good friend has breast cancer and is bald from treatment. One day she went out and completely forgot to put her wig on. She did not realize it until she got to her destination about 30 minutes away. She had 2 choices - cry or laugh about it. It was about 90 degrees that day, and she said, "What the heck! I am COMFORTABLE, this is ME, and I DON'T CARE!" When she told me that story, she was laughing so hard - about the situation, about people's looks, about everything! Which made ME laugh, and when I shared her story with my kids, THEY laughed! My son then called HER son, and together they were roaring over this.

Sometimes, you just have to laugh. It is good for the soul.

Are you seriously trying to convince me how funny it is? Yeah I'm laughing now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.