Cancer 'tidal wave' on horizon, warns WHO

bbc.co.uk/news/health-26014693

The globe is facing a “tidal wave” of cancer, and restrictions on alcohol and sugar need to be considered, say World Health Organization scientists.

It predicts the number of cancer cases will reach 24 million a year by 2035, but half could be prevented.

The WHO said there was now a “real need” to focus on cancer prevention by tackling smoking, obesity and drinking.

The World Cancer Research Fund said there was an “alarming” level of naivety about diet’s role in cancer.

Fourteen million people a year are diagnosed with cancer, but that is predicted to increase to 19 million by 2025, 22 million by 2030 and 24 million by 2035.

The developing world will bear the brunt of the extra cases.

The WHO’s World Cancer Report 2014 said the major sources of preventable cancer included:

Smoking
Infections
Alcohol
Obesity and inactivity
Radiation, both from the sun and medical scans
Air pollution and other environmental factors
Delayed parenthood, having fewer children and not breastfeeding

Jeez. Scary. :eek:

A wise old doctor once told me “If the heart attack doesn’t get you the cancer will.” We have all to die of something. Spend all your life avoiding death and you miss the inbetween.
This increase is a by-product of people living longer, not one diet or another.
Statistics are the tool of the UN to justify their unjustifiable continued existence and waste of public money.

I wonder why contraceptives weren’t added to the list? Hmmmm!

I hope and pray someday they can invent a cure for a cancer or at least a vaccination to prevent people getting it…

That’s my view on it. Something is going to have to kill you.

Only if you’re part of the statistics.

It’s not good though. Smoking seems to be on the decline AFAIK but heavy alcoholism and terrible diets are rampant. It really takes a chunk out of the prosperity of the world when so much money and resources are getting sucked into so many things that are preventable.

looks at the sangria sitting next to him

:eek: :smiley:

Have any such dire predictions (from an agency which is always seeking additional funding) ever come true? But, and for me this is the telling point: they are not lobbying for additional treatments or facilities but rather, for additional power to restrict or ban common substances. Seems like a power grab.

And, as to cancer and treatments and vaccines, “cancer” is not a monolithic illness waiting to be toppled. It is an entire spectrum of hundreds of widely varying illnesses that are connected only because they have to do with the uncontrolled growth of various cells in our bodies.

As well, cancer is living (almost breathing) and changing as we speak. It defeats treatments by mutating around them. The particular form that I am being treated for tricks the immune system into becoming an ally and helping it to attack the body in parallel with the cancer.

The “cure” for cancer is the next life, in which we will have been perfected by the power of God. Until then, we are called to live the beatitudes and to offer our suffering up for the benefit of those who have gone before us.

I think we were better off years ago when no one would speak of such things.

Radiation, both from **the sun **and medical scans

Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers worldwide. It’s not curable, but if detected early, it’s treatable. Many people (myself included) would like to see it removed from the category of “skin cancer” because it’s so much more than that. It spreads, it spreads quickly, and it kills. My mother was diagnosed stage 2b in October 2011 and was gone in less than a year.

melanoma.org/

I don’t mean to be preachy or to derail the thread, but when I see an opportunity to bring awareness to what this disease can do, and how to protect yourself, I have to take it.

Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.