Candidate in Washington state attacked for his Catholic faith [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/This_image_on_an_anti_Mark_Miloscia_website_has_since_been_taken_down_CNA_10_31_14.jpgSeattle, Wash., Oct 31, 2014 / 01:18 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Mark Miloscia, a candidate for Washington’s state senate, has been attacked for his Catholic faith and adherence to Church teaching on a website belittling his faith as incompatible with representing his district.

“‘Mississippi Mark’ has always worn his church on his sleeve. Rather than represent the people of Federal Way, he has best represented the people of The Vatican,” read an image which was posted on markmiloscia.info, a website erected by critics of Miloscia, the Republican senate candidate for Washington’s 30th legislative district.

The district is located off of Puget Sound, around 25 miles south of Seattle. It includes the communities of Federal Way, Des Moines, Milton, Auburn, Algona, and Pacific.

The image, which has since been taken down from the website at the request of Democratic candidate Shari Song, depicted Miloscia in cartoon form, wearing a mitre and clutching a rosary and a briefcase with the Mississippi flag.

The image also targeted Miloscia’s positions, calling him a “Lobbyist for the Catholic Church,” and claiming he is “against women’s freedom over their own health choices” and “proposed a sin tax against Playboys and marital aids,” among other stances.

The image also mocked Miloscia’s Southern heritage - the candidate was born and lived in Mississippi as a small child- reading that he “comes from the Deep South…with plenty of baggage.”

The website’s author has not identified himself. According to SeattlePi’s Joel Connelly, “a Democratic campaign strategist” said that “a couple of local Democratic legislative district members got together and did it on their own. I don’t know all the names of who’s involved . . . We’ve had to talk to them to try to get them to fix it.”

Miloscia had previously served as a Democratic representative for Washington state, switching to the Republican party earlier this year after stating that the Democratic party no longer supported socially conservative views.

Miloscia has come under fire from Democratic and other organizations for his defense of unborn life and the traditional view of marriage, as well as his opposition to the death penalty. He has also worked as a lobbyist for the Washington State Catholic Conference of Bishops.

Song asked that the image be taken down, saying that the image “may have crossed the line of what is appropriate” and stated that she does not condone attacks on the basis of Miloscia’s religion.

While the image has been removed, several condemnations of Miloscia’s Catholic faith remain on the website.

One page entitled “Church Or State? The Dogmatic Public Policy of Mark Miloscia” details his voting record in support of issues outlined in Catholic social teaching, including opposition to euthanasia, abortion, and the death penalty, protection of traditional marriage, and expansion of contraceptive promotion in public schools. The page cites John F. Kennedy’s insistance that whatever “one’s religion in his private life may be, for the officeholder, nothing takes precedence over his oath to uphold the Constitution and all its parts – including the First Amendment and the strict separation of church and state.”

Another post titled “Pope Francis vs. Mark Miloscia,” picks specific quotes of Pope Francis, such as "The Church has grown obsessed with… abortion and birth control,” and contrasts them with Miloscia’s voting record, implying that the candidate is opposing the Pope by voting in line with the Church’s teachings on same-sex marriage, abortion, and contraception.

“It’s unconscionable that that website is up,” Miloscia told The Daily Caller on Oct. 25. “People say to me, ‘Didn’t they do this against Kennedy?’”

The image which has since been removed has been likened to the anti-Catholic bigotry of the 1800s seen in the U.S. The cartoonist Thomas Nast produced a famous cartoon for an 1871 edition of Harper’s Weekly depicting Catholic bishops in mitres as crocodiles coming onto America’s shores.

Mary Lane Strow, a Republican legislative aide who is also Catholic, commented on Facebook that “it reminds me of the crude anti-Catholic bigotry in this country from the 19th century … Imagine if they had gone after a Jewish candidate in this way.”

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/0tOhYfM9fok

Full article…

:rotfl:

The confederate flag and the Pope’s hat. Yeah, those two things sure go together. So many Catholics in the South during the Civil War :rolleyes:

Nevermind those monks in the 16th Century who were freeing North American slaves either.

Because that doesn’t support the liberal agenda in dying, blue Washington State. :nope:

Friend, here is a story you might find of interest: georgiabulletin.org/news/2014/09/priest-chaplain-died-decisive-civil-war-battle-remembered/ and georgiabulletin.org/news/2014/07/priest-killed-in-civil-war-to-be-honored/

California is a “blue state” but Bakersfield for example is still fairly red. So it happens but in general, it is a bit unfortunate to see the DNC party dominating a state. Some rural areas of states I know such as say NY State can still have Republican areas.

Back when I used to be a registered Democrat, there came a time when I started to learn more about the Catholic faith. And I realized that I couldn’t reconcile being a Catholic and being in a political party that absolutely hates Jesus and the Catholic Church. The Democrat party forced me to choose between them and the divine wisdom of the Church, so I left the Democrat party.

Same here. I was a cradle Democrat.

Same here as well.

This should not surprise us. Politicians who support the murder of children are capable of anything.

Wasn’t the KKK started by the Democrats? :rolleyes: :shrug: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. And Margaret Sanger was invited by the KKK to speak at one of their rallies, which she did. She admits this in her book “Margaret Sanger: An Autobiography.”

Is it possible to have a supportive link for this comment?

Klan groups spread throughout the South as an insurgent movement during the Reconstruction era in the United States. As a secret vigilante group, the Klan targeted freedmen and their allies; it sought to restore white supremacy by threats and violence, including murder, against black and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871, the federal government passed the Force Acts, which were used to prosecute Klan crimes.[17] Prosecution of Klan crimes and enforcement of the Force Acts suppressed Klan activity. In 1874 and later, newly organized and openly active paramilitary organizations, such as the White League and the Red Shirts, started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing blacks’ voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to segregationist white Democrats regaining political power in all the Southern states by 1877.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan#First_KKK

KKK Terrorist Arm of the Democratic Party

nationalblackrepublicans.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pages.DYKKKKTerroristArmoftheDemocratParty

Looks like the Klan was started by 6 veterans of the Confederate Army but I’d think in all likelihood they were Democrats.

Founded in 1866, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for blacks. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and black Republican leaders. - History Channel

history.com/topics/ku-klux-klan

According to the wikipedia article, the Klan has basically gone through 3 reincarnations,

Post Civil War
Invisible Empire (around the 1920s, perhaps 1900s, read the article)
Post World War II, Civil Rights era more or less.

I don’t know if it has been continual in existence.

I’ve never seen the movie “Birth of the Nation”, that is an old time silent movie, sounds like it is about the Klan, very famous movie.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation

It’s like Marc Barnes, the blogger of Bad Catholic, says: it’s 19th Century anti-Catholicism, with more whine and less balls.

Same here. I remember at 21 asking my grandfather whether I should register republican or democrat. He said democrat - they’re for the working people. Republicans are for the rich man. I always thought my Pop a wise man so I registered democrat. About 10 years later I realized that that party violated my moral principles and I could no longer be a part of it so I changed my registration.

This ad crosses the line. I hope it backfired.

Same thing here. Actually, a few conversations about that topic is what convinced me to stop being a Democrat. You have to understand, that was difficult for me. I grew up in South Omaha, and everyone was 1) Catholic, 2) Democrat and 3) you were a member of and supported your union. Not always in that order, you understand. :wink:

Same here. From a big union family (USW Local 1418) and my I had relatives holding state office as Democrats. What we, and our families, may have thought about the democrats 30, 40, 50 years ago no longer holds true (if it ever did. I’m not too sure anymore).

I was raised Catholic in the Boston area. Needless to say being a democrat was a given. Thankfully Mr. Reagan helped to change my mind. Have only been able to vote republican or exercising a write-in - in good conscience - ever since.

Mark Miloscia (the politician attacked in the ad) also jumped ship from the Democratic Party (March, 2014) and switched to the Republican Party.

It appears he won the election.

yea!

Same here. AFT et al. But we also tend to move from left to right as we get older. My grandfather started out hard left, ended up hard right. Some stay left to the end. I am actually still “democrat” on the environment, a lot of economic and tax issues, and some other things. But they get SO in your face on social issues. Why is that I wonder. I feel like I had to leave as an act of conscience. I call myself an independent these days. I am glad the Republicans won but will be just as tough on them I am sure sooner rather than later. I really hope we don’t end up with another Newt Gingrich / Clinton era, impeachment hearings, the whole works. Won’t be surprised though. (And you know how things will go between the media and the Republicans - not looking forward to that.)

Me too, only in Lincoln. Raised by conservative Catholic grandparents. Never did connect with the Democrats so first time voting registered as Republican. This was years ago, and I am sure my grandparents would not belong to the current Democratic party.

An interview with Mark Miloscia – the candidate that was attacked and won.

What I liked about the Democratic Party is that Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr. came from a faith perspective. I don’t know any more if a Catholic like RFK or even his brother John could be in the Democratic Party, because activists told me you must be shoving theocracy down our throats. You’re a bigot, a homophobe. You hate women.

Catholics in JFK’s day used to represent a large part of the party. But when I was a Democrat, I was told I had to evolve [and become a cultural liberal]. They evolved. Barack Obama evolved.

Forget the big tent. They say they don’t have a litmus test, but they do. Of course, I understand that parties bring in new people and take out people in their coalition. But if you’re not good on the social issues, it doesn’t matter, and I had a 92 percent voting record with labor … The millennials are mostly hard core left. They have no tolerance for people of faith. They’ve sort of drunk the Kool-Aid.

I’m a social justice, anti-death penalty, seamless garment, pro-life Catholic.

aleteia.org/en/politics/article/ex-democratic-lawmaker-anti-catholic-bigotry-drove-me-to-the-gop-exclusive-aleteia-interview-5817480832352256?page=2

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.