Cannabis Could Be Added to the Mix by Alcohol Giant as Laws Ease

Certainly not in the same way as a good Beaujolais.

How is paying for a service you use a punishment? I think you are really confused here. If you eat food at a restaurant, do you feel punished with the bill? It is simple justice that you pay for that meal. If you run out without paying, that deserves punishment for stealing in addition to paying for the meal. If you eat too much and need medical treatment, you should also pay for the medical treatment.

A better analogy is a vaccine that is subsidized for the benefit of all. We don’t want incomplete and unequal coverage of things like diphtheria and whooping cough. So in 1962 the Vaccination Assistance Act was passed to make the most common vaccines available to all with subsidies. This made sense because we all benefit from everyone being vaccinated against those diseases that spread easily. And addiction is just such a disease. It spreads. So to protect us all, we subsidize the most critical addiction treatment. It is not like eating food at a restaurant. If I miss out on a good meal, that only makes my stomach grumble a little. It does not harm anyone else. But if I don’t receive addiction treatment, that harms everyone.

That’s not working for me. In your example, vaccines are a universal need. Drug rehab is only needed by people who make a bad choice that is probably a criminal offense. It supports a criminal network that engages in grave evils including murder and the corruption of law enforcement.

Even something that is a universal need does not have to be provided for free. I have had quite a few vaccinations in my lifetime, and my parents or I had to pay for them. Go back to food. Everyone needs it, but not everyone is entitled to get it for free.

If you were awake during mass this past Sunday you heard the second reading from Paul’s second letter to the Thessalonians 3:7-12

For you know how one must imitate us. For we did not act in a disorderly way among you,
nor did we eat food received free from anyone. On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day we worked, so as not to burden any of you.
Not that we do not have the right. Rather, we wanted to present ourselves as a model for you, so that you might imitate us.
In fact, when we were with you, we instructed you that if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat.
We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a disorderly way, by not keeping busy but minding the business of others.
Such people we instruct and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to work quietly and to eat their own food.

The universality of the need is not the relevant characteristic of my analogy. It is the universality of the consequences of the lack of treatment that is relevant. Even though only a few people become addicted, if those few do not receive treatment, we all suffer from the consequences. In that sense it is more like vaccines. You may not mind living in a world where drug abuse and crime is rampant. I do. I would rather pay my share of drug treatment so as to rid us of this scourge.

Ending addiction requires both prevention and treatment after the fact. Neither of those work without personal responsibility. Failing to hold people accountable for their choices results in more addiction, not less.

[quote=Beautiful;14289145**]A good glass of wine enhances the taste of a meal and a crisp cold beer quenches thirst when eating a slice of fresh hot pizza.
[/quote]

I also believe in sobriety.

Even though I’ve never tried cannibis nor did I ever dream of trying it or plan to try it…I fail to see how this mind altering chemical can positively enhance the taste of a meal or help quench a thirst when combined with alcohol.

Its like adding silly putty to sculpting clay.

Disagree totally and that is a choice that you make. Sobriety?

There are many ways to hold people responsible for their actions besides fining them for the full cost of their treatment. Setting a very high bar for getting treatment just ensures that fewer people will get treatment. It is ridiculous to think that it would reduce addiction.

Wise words.And no amount of pity or sympathy or rehab will avail else.

I have seen this so many times in my long life. A talented teenager, addicted, then in rehab, comes out clear then mixes with the old crowd, and back she goes into addiction,

Often there needs a complete change of life.

My own long batttle against benzo dr prescribed addiction; once i learned the real cause of my illness and what the meds were doing to me? Took me along lonely year but i never went back

The man here who is a water diviner; he was an alcoholic of epic style, the despair of his own father. On dark night he was driving to the pub for a binge when there appeared on the dark lonely lane ahead of him a tombstone inscribed with his name… he turned round, drove home and never drank again. He taught me to divine too

Wise words.And no amount of pity or sympathy or rehab will avail else.

I have seen this so many times in my long life. A talented teenager, addicted, then in rehab, comes out clear then mixes with the old crowd, and back she goes into addiction,

Often there needs a complete change of life.

My own long batttle against benzo dr prescribed addiction; once i learned the real cause of my illness and what the meds were doing to me? Took me along lonely year but i never went back

The man here who is a water diviner; he was an alcoholic of epic style, the despair of his own father. On dark night he was driving to the pub for a binge when there appeared on the dark lonely lane ahead of him a tombstone inscribed with his name… he turned round, drove home and never drank again. He taught me to divine too
Of course personal responsibility is a critical factor. But you have to look back at Trader’s earlier posts to understand what this point is supposedly supporting. It is supporting the idea of removing public funding for drug treatment, and making addicts bear the entire cost of the system that provides their treatment, even though the whole society benefits from their getting that treatment, and imposing more punishment on people whose lives are already ruined is an anathma.

That is not what I said. I want addicts to get treatment and the upfront costs will have to be borne by either a public or private agency or the family of the addict. Then, and only then, the now former addict gets a bill for his treatment which is paid back over time. Good people borrow to pay for life’s necessities all the time. Most people need loans to pay for college, homes, or autos. They repay those loans as a matter of justice because they are the primary beneficiaries of those purchases.

Take another important need in society, child support. Do you regard the obligation to support the children you make as a punishment? Certainly society as a whole benefits when children receive the basic needs of life. Those include food, shelter, clothing, medical care, and education. Who is primarily responsible for the needs of children, the parents or the state? You can find the answer in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I have heard people say that forcing people to support their children will result in more abortions. That is a really unfortunate understanding of personal responsibility. Saint Paul had something really strong to say about that too, just like the passage I quoted earlier from Sunday’s second reading.

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy 5:8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.