Cannabis Use Not Sinful if Only Used to Feel Good, (but not to excess)?

I visit this ‘Ask Father’ site often, and have posted several questions, always receiving very orthodox and sensible advise. It seems to be a very conservative site.

Here is a link to a question. If you read Father’s answer, he says that cannabis is ok to use in moderation, just like alcohol. How surprising!

CLICK HERE for link

What say ye???

Um, isn’t cannabis use illegal in almost every way (exempting places which have “medical marijuana” provisions)?

It would seem to me that committing an illegal action would be sinful, even if I were doing it “just to relax”. . .

Surprises me too! I thought it was illegal everywhere. Aren’t we supposed to lead others away from sin?

[quote=Tantum ergo]Um, isn’t cannabis use illegal in almost every way (exempting places which have “medical marijuana” provisions)?

It would seem to me that committing an illegal action would be sinful, even if I were doing it “just to relax”. . .
[/quote]

That is my understanding as well:confused: Where is the forum priest,we need clarification,this answer has destroyed my percieved knowledge and has thrown me in a state of confusion:eek:

[quote=Tantum ergo]It would seem to me that committing an illegal action would be sinful, even if I were doing it “just to relax”. . .
[/quote]

Conveniently sidestepping the issue of cannabis, I want to note that doing something illegal should not be equated with sinning, although they often dovetail. Illegal immigration is not a sin per se. Neither are hundreds of traffic and civic laws (parking the wrong way on the street). Conversely, numerous legal actions (abortion, etc.) ARE sinful. I think the distinction’s important.

[quote=maendem]Conveniently sidestepping the issue of cannabis, I want to note that doing something illegal should not be equated with sinning, although they often dovetail. Illegal immigration is not a sin per se. Neither are hundreds of traffic and civic laws (parking the wrong way on the street). Conversely, numerous legal actions (abortion, etc.) ARE sinful. I think the distinction’s important.
[/quote]

Actually I would think any violation of a just law is a sin. It may only be venial, but it is definitely a sin. All just laws come from the state which derives its authority from the creator.

[quote=fix]Actually I would think any violation of a just law is a sin. It may only be venial, but it is definitely a sin. All just laws come from the state which derives its authority from the creator.
[/quote]

But doesn’t a “just law” demand our obedience not because it is a law but because it is just; that is, because violating it would cause harm to others or to ourselves as the Temple of God? ALL laws come from the state, just or not. We need to remain vigilent about the "justice’ of these laws, and consider that civil disobedience may be required in those cases where we must choose between sinning and obeying the law (obviously I’m talking about extreme cases).

I still can’t equate obeying the law with avoiding sin. However: I do know that Scripture mentions that government has its authority through God. How far can we take that? What about the Saddams and Hitlers of the world? Thoughts?

[quote=maendem]But doesn’t a “just law” demand our obedience not because it is a law but because it is just; that is, because violating it would cause harm to others or to ourselves as the Temple of God? ALL laws come from the state, just or not. We need to remain vigilent about the "justice’ of these laws, and consider that civil disobedience may be required in those cases where we must choose between sinning and obeying the law (obviously I’m talking about extreme cases).

I still can’t equate obeying the law with avoiding sin. However: I do know that Scripture mentions that government has its authority through God. How far can we take that? What about the Saddams and Hitlers of the world? Thoughts?
[/quote]

I am not sure I follow you. You seem to agree with me that all laws must be obeyed, unless they are unjust? The USA is a legitimate government. We should obey all laws, unless there is a grave injustice such as pro abortion laws.

Obeying the law is doing what God expects of us.

[quote=maendem]Conveniently sidestepping the issue of cannabis, I want to note that doing something illegal should not be equated with sinning, although they often dovetail. Illegal immigration is not a sin per se. Neither are hundreds of traffic and civic laws (parking the wrong way on the street). Conversely, numerous legal actions (abortion, etc.) ARE sinful. I think the distinction’s important.
[/quote]

Actually some like to just lump everything all together.:wink: Think it’s equality:D

It is never ‘OK’ to break civil law unless civil law attempts to binds you to disobey Ecclesiastical and Divine Law.

there are two reasons, for which a subject may not be bound to obey his superior in all things. First on account of the command of a higher power… Secondly, a subject is not bound to obey his superior if the latter command him to do something wherein he is not subject to him. [ie., outside his scope of authority]” (Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas, IIb, 104, 5)

Breaking the law in “moderation” is still criminal.

[quote=itsjustdave1988]“there are two reasons, for which a subject may not be bound to obey his superior in all things. First on account of the command of a higher power… Secondly, a subject is not bound to obey his superior if the latter command him to do something wherein he is not subject to him. [ie., outside his scope of authority]” (Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas, IIb, 104, 5)

[/quote]

Thanks. That is the point I wanted to make.

Criminal, certainly, but does that automatically make it immoral or sinful?

Take the example of alcohol. The standard position is that as long as drinking alcohol is not abused, it isn’t sinful, correct? But what, then, of the Prohibition era?

Was drinking a beer not a sin in 1918, a sin fron 1919 to 1933, and then not a sin again after that?

And if it remained not-sinful during the Prohibition era, then what is the logical difference with marijuana?

I think we need to call the forum priest in here to help with this question for fear someone could inadvertantly be lead to sin:nope: God Bless

[quote=SamCA]Criminal, certainly, but does that automatically make it immoral or sinful?

Take the example of alcohol. The standard position is that as long as drinking alcohol is not abused, it isn’t sinful, correct? But what, then, of the Prohibition era?

Was drinking a beer not a sin in 1918, a sin fron 1919 to 1933, and then not a sin again after that?

And if it remained not-sinful during the Prohibition era, then what is the logical difference with marijuana?
[/quote]

Well, I am no expert but it would seem if the prohibition laws were not unjust then drinking would be sinful. Marijuana is illegal and thus it would be sinful to use.

I do not see it as very contradictory. Traffic laws change all the time. Does that mean one may only follow a certain law when they desire to?

[quote=itsjustdave1988]“there are two reasons, for which a subject may not be bound to obey his superior in all things. First on account of the command of a higher power… Secondly, a subject is not bound to obey his superior if the latter command him to do something wherein he is not subject to him. [ie., outside his scope of authority]” (Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas, IIb, 104, 5)

[/quote]

Does this mean that I can’t speed anymore? I’m a pretty good Catholic…I go to confession once a month, but I speed everywhere. I speed up, down and all over the city, I roll through stop signs, don’t wear my seatbelt, dont signal each and every time I change lanes, speed up at yellow lights, Ive run a few lights when there’s noone around. I am not sorry for doing any of this…is that wrong?.. Do I have to stop? What if I’m speeding to Church? What if I’m speeding to help someone out? What if I’m speeding to get my pregnant wife to the hospital? What if I’m speeding to try to catch a murderer I just saw murder 3 people?

It is never permissable to do evil to obtain a greater good, so where does it end?

Please help me,

Greg “the speeder”

What if I’m speeding to Church? What if I’m speeding to help someone out? What if I’m speeding to get my pregnant wife to the hospital? What if I’m speeding to try to catch a murderer I just saw murder 3 people?

It is never permissable to do evil to obtain a greater good, so where does it end?

There are situations where it would be unjust to be compelled to follow the law. Your wife being in labor would be one. Pursuit of a criminal may be another (although I’d argue it’s probably wiser to let the police do their job instead of you). Speeding to Church is not an excuse–either it’s your fault that you’re running late and you should just get there when you can and get to confession later, or it’s not your fault and God will understand (see the CCC regarding “proportionate reasons”). Joyriding would not be considered a good reason. In fact, the Catechism says:

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by…**a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air. **

[quote=rheins2000]Does this mean that I can’t speed anymore? I’m a pretty good Catholic…I go to confession once a month, but I speed everywhere. I speed up, down and all over the city, I roll through stop signs, don’t wear my seatbelt, dont signal each and every time I change lanes, speed up at yellow lights, Ive run a few lights when there’s noone around. I am not sorry for doing any of this…is that wrong?.. Do I have to stop? What if I’m speeding to Church? What if I’m speeding to help someone out? What if I’m speeding to get my pregnant wife to the hospital? What if I’m speeding to try to catch a murderer I just saw murder 3 people?

Please help me,

Greg “the speeder”
[/quote]

Why do you think speeding is not a sin? It can be venial or mortal. Can you speed down a side street at 90 mph with children playing? Is that not sinful?

[quote=rheins2000]Does this mean that I can’t speed anymore? I’m a pretty good Catholic…I go to confession once a month, but I speed everywhere. I speed up, down and all over the city, I roll through stop signs, don’t wear my seatbelt, dont signal each and every time I change lanes, speed up at yellow lights, Ive run a few lights when there’s noone around. I am not sorry for doing any of this…is that wrong?.. Do I have to stop? What if I’m speeding to Church? What if I’m speeding to help someone out? What if I’m speeding to get my pregnant wife to the hospital? What if I’m speeding to try to catch a murderer I just saw murder 3 people?

Please help me,

Greg “the speeder”
[/quote]

Maybe picture explaining yourself before a judge (and/or the Judge) each offense and see how your reasoning will be received, ehh?

PS: For an intrinsic evil level of offense, always be sure to go before the Judge (and consult a priest if need be).

:rotfl: If it’s the priest that’s referred to in the title of this thread, there won’t be an offense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.