Canon History Question

When did the terms protocanonical and deuterocanonical first get used to describe the OT canon? Why was it decided to differentiate between the two? (In other words, why not just canonical?) It seems to me that someone decided we needed to distinguish the two. Who was it and why?

Sounds like somewhere in the 16th century according to Catholic Encyclopedia.It should be noted that protocanonical and deuterocanonical are modern terms, not having been used before the sixteenth century.

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:2, topic:312630"]
Sounds like somewhere in the 16th century according to Catholic Encyclopedia.It should be noted that protocanonical and deuterocanonical are modern terms, not having been used before the sixteenth century.

[/quote]

Thanks. I didn't even think to look there.

I kinda figured that might be the case.

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:2, topic:312630"]

[/quote]

Marco: Thanks for the additional discussion of the biblical canon on your blog, and for the entire blog itself. I have bookmarked it and enjoy reading your posts. Very well written. bob.c

You’re very kind, thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.