canon law 1917

Can anyone quote for me the 1917 canon law of baptism of desire?

The 1917 Code did not include Baptism of Desire. Frankly, I have no idea why the 1983 CIC mentions it. Baptism of Desire has nothing to do with Church law. It’s a doctrine, not a law, so it doesn’t belong in the CIC. But I think there’s a lot in the 1983 CIC that has nothing to do with Church law. It’s a sloppy edition.

Each edition of Canon Law completely abrogates (abolishes) its predecessor - each and every Canon goes up in smoke, as if it were never there. If we have purely doctrinal Canons with no legal perspective, it might appear that the Church is abolishing doctrine when the next edition is published. That’s why Doctrine has no place in Canon Law - only man-made rules that relate to doctrine belong there.

1917 CIC
Can 1239
§1. Ad sepulturam ecclesiasticam non sunt admittendi qui sine baptismo decesserint.
§2. Catechumeni qui nulla sua culpa sine baptismo moriantur, baptizatis accensendi sunt.
§3. Omnes baptizati sepultura ecclesiastica donandi sunt, nisi eadem a iure expresse priventur.
Translation of 1239. 2 Catechumens who, through no fault of their own, die without Baptism, are to be treated as baptized.

With all due respect, and charity:

1. The 1917 Code did not include Baptism of Desire. WRONG… it does

2. Frankly, I have no idea why the 1983 CIC mentions it. BECAUSE CIC are laws to protect the rights of the faithful.

3. Baptism of Desire has nothing to do with Church law. IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH CHURCH LAW (see responses 1 and 2, above)

4. But I think there’s a lot in the 1983 CIC that has nothing to do with Church law. It’s a sloppy edition. I’M SURE THIS IS WHAT YOU THINK, BUT this is why interpreting canon law is best left to professionally trained and certified Canon Lawyers.

Peace and all good!

We should never consider something made by the Pope as “man-made” for he is not just some mere man

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.