Canon Law

For example to my question.

There was a Canon Law for Vactican I and I have heard it said in the Cannon Law for Vactican II that Whatever was not mentioned in this Canon Law and is not reproofed or dismissed (such as headcovering as one of many examples) it is still in effect.

My Question is, is there any more Canon Laws that is still in effect that is not the Today’s Catechism?

Canon law, the documents of Church Councils, and the Catechism are all very different things. Most laypersons never need to read canon law.

The current (1983) Code of Canon law, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and all of the documents of the First and Second Vatican Councils can be read on the Vatican website.

You will have to ask him from whom you heard it to support such an incredible claim.

What the code does legislate is this:

Can. 6 §1. When this Code takes force, the following are abrogated:

1/ the Code of Canon Law promulgated in 1917;

2/ other universal or particular laws contrary to the prescripts of this Code unless other provision is expressly made for particular laws;

3/ any universal or particular penal laws whatsoever issued by the Apostolic See unless they are contained in this Code;

4/ other universal disciplinary laws regarding matter which this Code completely reorders.

§2. Insofar as they repeat former law, the canons of this Code must be assessed also in accord with canonical tradition.

I AM NOT A CANON LAWYER, but it seems to me that 6.1.1 would indicate, eg, the headcovering statues from 1917 are abrogated.

tee

I am not a canon lawyer either, but yes, you are correct. See this helpful explanation.

Note that what was abrogated was the requirement for women to cover their heads in church. It is still *possible *for women to do so, if they so desire (and, as Cdl Burke indicates in the link I cited, it would be expected in a celebration of the EF).

:thumbsup: ok!

I suppose I am backwards :rolleyes:

:blush: :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip web

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.