Canonize(d)

What does Canonize(d) mean?Can anyone give me a good example and definition of this word. Thanks!

It’s a gift of the Holy Spirit to the Pope by which the Church infallibly recognizes saints that are in heaven, you can read all about it here!

Can anyone give me a good example and definition of this word. Thanks!

canon: literally, a straight rod, a measure. Figuratively, a rule, or a list of authoritative documents, or of accepted “truths”…

** in re saints:**
The final step in the formal adding to the “canon of saints”…
… that list of saints recognized by the church as having made it in to heaven.

The first step is investigation: claims are made of martyrdom, or of prayers being answered, etc., and the church investigates.

The next major hurdle is beattification: the church recognizes the holiness of their life and/or death and the possibility of their having been admitted to heaven; they gain the title “Blessed”. Blessed (Mother) Theresa of Calcutta, a changer of many lives, and Blessed Theodore Romzha, Bishop and Martyr.

More investigation follows. Hopefully more miracles follow.

Canonization is the final step, where the Pope, Ex Cathedra, proclaims them to be a Saint, known to him to have been admitted into heaven by the revelation of the Holy Spirit and the Works of the new Saint.

In re scriptures:
added to the “canon” of the books of the bible. The Catholic Canon was established surprisingly late; by the council at Carthage in 387 A.D.

The current form was reconfirmed at the council of Trent (16th C) as dogmatic.

in re fandom
established as authoritative and/or part of a larger continuity.

used often in Star Trek, Star Wars, and Traveller fandom.

Example: Paramount considers the films canonical, but has not yet canonized any novels. Research has shown that Franz Joseph’s designs are canonized in Star Trek the Motion Picture, both by the names, designations, and NCC numbers showing up, and by the illustrations of all the Tech Manual ship designs appearing on monitors.

In the Latin Mass the Eucharistic Prayer was referred to as the Canon, because it was a fixed form. When a new saint was proclaimed his name was read as a part of the Canon that day, hence he was canonized.

Hi Democrat,

I have rarely seen a question answered with such confusion.

To canonize someone means to declare that he/she is officially recognized as a saint. Today, only the Holy See (the Pope) can canonize someone.

Verbum

<<Today, only the Holy See (the Pope) can canonize someone.>>

Keep in mind that this is ONLY for the Catholic Church.

“Canonized” refers specifically to the practice of inserting the saint’s name into the CANON of the Mass at the appropriate point on his/her feast day.

What do you mean by this <<<appropriate point on his/her feast day>>>?

I don’t understand what you mean by it.

James:)

In the Roman mass, the introit may get a paragraph about the saint, and asking for their intercession. The commemorations in the Consecration also may have the name of the saint added.

In the eastern rites, they are added to the commemoration prayers, and if significant enough, may have troparia, kontakia, prokimenia, and dogmatikonia written to reflect their teaching points. (The troparion and kontakion are part of the opening, and the prokimenon is just before the reading.)

A modern Russian Orthodox example is St. Herman of Alaska:

I have a quick question, is the King James Verision Bible Canonized or what you think? I use NIV a lot. I go to Catholic Church and the Priest said that I can bring that Bible to his church and it is okay with him. I used to read KJV Bible, it’s very hard to understand because of the way the Author writes it in this Bible.

Love,

James

Neither is canonized; both are translations from the canonical bible lain out in the council in the 5th century.

KJV is an archaic form of “modern” english, while the NIV is a far more modern form of modern english. (In this context, Modern english is that of shakespeare and later, ie, “post-middle-english english”)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.