Can't decide if a guy is into me or not

I’m feeling a bit confused and akward :blush: .

So, I met this guy over the summer. He was set up to be my math tutor when I was prepping for a placement test. We would study together outside of tutoring hours, he would walk back to my room with me and we would talk.

When he left to go home to Vietnam for the last few weeks of summer, he messaged and/or IMed me almost every night on facebook. We talked about all the many things we have in common, love of simplistic video games, love of nature, music tastes, hobbies, etc.

Now that he’s back and the year has started again, things have gotten a little more confusing. He talked about wanting to see where I live and I invited him to come home with me for thanksgiving, and now he’s talking about taking me to Vietnam with him someday. He also wants me to take him to south america after we graduate. One of the first things he did when he got back was take me to a store and by me ice cream. Not to mention he brought some gifts for me back from Vietnam. We’ve gone out to restaurants together twice now, the first time he paid the second time I had to argue with him just to convince him to let me pay part of the bill (although maybe that’s just a guy thing :confused: ) . And after we ate he dragged me to a soccer game. But no sooner was the day winding down than he began talking about us spending time together over the weekend.

He waved his hand and said he could play handball with a friend some other time because he would rather study and go swimming with me.

Now, I’ll admit, I’m kind of thick headed about this sort of thing. I was anything but a social butterfly in high school so I’m not very well versed in the art of flirting versus “hanging out.”

But I can’t help but wonder, is he just a really nice guy who thinks I’m fun to be with, or do you think he might like me in a different way? He hasn’t really come out and said anything suggestive of it other than paying me a compliment here and there (i.e Telling me “You don’t need it” when I said I don’t wear make-up) .

So what do you guys think? Does he have a crush on me?

As a guy, I’m leaning more toward the possibility that he is interested in becoming more than friends.

As a guy I can tell you that guys aren’t usually “nice” to women for no reason. And yes, I think he likes you. It can’t really be any more obvious.

Well, what should I do then? Should I say anything? Or should I just let him keep being subtle about the whole thing (if you could call it that)? I know I’m being vague, but he really hasn’t come out and said anything terribly direct about weather he wants to be in a relationship or not.

*He definitely likes you. (bolded above emphasis, mine) Guys don’t say things like this to girls they want to just be friends with…Yes, indeed, he likes you! :slight_smile:

Just my two cents.

So, do you like him…too? *

So, do you like him…too?

Well…we’re not passionately in love or anything, but I could definately picture being more than just friends with him.

He’s smart (an engineering major in the honors program), he’s thought, and has an artistic side. We like the same kinds of food, music, video games, books, we both like nature and going for walks and exercising when we have the time. He’s definately a bit of a nerd, which is probably why we have so much in common :stuck_out_tongue: .

So, ya, I could definately see myself in a relationship with him. I guess I’m just nervous about the prospect since I haven’t really dated for several years, since I was too young to be dating anyway, let me put it that way.

While you can never be 100% sure, it’s obvious to me by what you said that he most definitely likes you and wants to be more than friends. If you want to be in a relationship with him just keep doing stuff with him and the emotions should take care of themselves.

Good luck!

Why not take it to prayer and ask God for guidance!

You are surely intelligent and a special, unique creation of God, in His likeness and image.

Do not let the fact that you have not dated for a while rush you to a hasty decision.

**Enjoy the beauty of the gift of your life and be patient, the Truth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will surely speak to you in your innermost soul, if you let Him!!
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Haha yes, they’re not. I so think he is into you. It is screaming obvious.

:yup: Yep, I think he is into you. And he sounds really nice too! I think I would pray on it, and let him take the lead. Odds are at some point he will make his intentions known.

I’d probably behave the same if I “liked” a girl.

I think he’s into you. We (guys) do wierd things sometimes when we really like a girl. Just some of my exes.

I agree, I think it really sounds like he likes you more than a friend. Perhaps he’s not sure if you like him as well, or he’s just deciding on when to make a move so to speak.

I know when me and my boyfriend first were together, he never came right out and asked me out. We just spent a ton of time together, much like it sounds you guys are. In fact, he never really actually even “asked me out” it just became that we were together. I teased him about it after a year or so and then he did actually ask me if I wanted to be his girlfriend, which was kind of silly, but I’m just saying that he doesn’t necessarily need to come out and say it for him to want to go out with you.

I’d say that if you like him too just give it time. I’m sure that he’ll make it obvious that he likes you eventually. Or if you’re more forward than me, start paying him some compliments and try to make it more obvious that you like him. But I’m more of the person to be too shy to really do much haha Thankfully now I don’t have to worry about being shy since me and my boyfriend have been together for just about 5 years.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.