Can't find info on Catholic Kings or Princes

Does anyone know where I can find a list? Or just somewhere that has information on that time period where most in Europe would be catholic. Or if you know some you could tell me about.

*All *Christian kings (and common folk, too) prior to the 16th Century were Catholic (some may have been Eastern Orthodox, but this is also “Catholic;” most were in communion with Rome). *None *were protestant, as protestantism was not invented until the 16th Century.

After Luther, the question gets more complicated. But kings also become more scarce.

[quote=Oren] that time period where most in Europe would be catholic.
[/quote]

500 AD to 1500 AD

Check the Encyclopedia Britannica under “Roman Catholicism, History Of”

IIRC it was after the reformative that certain monarchs (Spain?..maybe France?) started including the word “Catholic” in their titles

e.g. “His Catholic Magesty so and so, King of Elbonia”

check out Charlemagne too. he was a devout catholic and built a huge basilica at aix-la-chapelle.

All western European monarchs were Catholic prior to the 16th century. One set of monarchs were called “The Catholic Princes”. They were Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain. Henry VIII of England was given the title “Defender of the Faith” prior to his break with the Catholic Church. Henry VIII’s queen consort was Catherine of Aragon and she is often remembered for her Catholic faith. The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V is know for his interest in his faith. However, he was known to stretch the arm of a pope due to political matters.
After the birth of Protestantism, England had Mary I. She was a Catholic who had many “heretics” put to death based on their non-Catholic views. Another Catholic was James II of England who had his crown taken due to his Catholic leanings. His daughters played a role in his downfall.

I’ve heard rumors that Charlemagne had a very high voice…and just muttered during choir. He was a very large man and liked to float around in hot spring baths…he had the pope on the take, and may have had his brother killed. Charlemagne was the man.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]check out Charlemagne too. he was a devout catholic and built a huge basilica at aix-la-chapelle.
[/quote]

[quote=Strength]I’ve heard rumors that Charlemagne had a very high voice…and just muttered during choir. He was a very large man and liked to float around in hot spring baths…he had the pope on the take, and may have had his brother killed. Charlemagne was the man.
[/quote]

Well, no one is perfect now, are they Strength? :stuck_out_tongue:

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.