Can't find worthy Godparents!

Soon my wife will be giving birth to our first children, Logan and Sophia (twins!) The problem is that I am having a hard time thinking of worthy godparents. I'm sort of an anomaly when it comes to Catholics. I don't really participate in many social settings my parish puts on and have absolutely 0 faithful Catholic friends. I literally go to my parish for Mass and the Sacraments and leave. I guess I'm just being anti-social, I don't know. I have family members that are Catholic but sometimes they say things that are not on par with Catholic teachings; for instance my catholic cousin gave my mom Jehovah Witness Watchtowers that explain Heaven; I told my mom to throw that filth away. What should I do? Am I being too strict?

[quote="Wintersdemise, post:1, topic:306477"]
Soon my wife will be giving birth to our first children, Logan and Sophia (twins!) The problem is that I am having a hard time thinking of worthy godparents. I'm sort of an anomaly when it comes to Catholics. I don't really participate in many social settings my parish puts on and have absolutely 0 faithful Catholic friends. I literally go to my parish for Mass and the Sacraments and leave. I guess I'm just being anti-social, I don't know. I have family members that are Catholic but sometimes they say things that are not on par with Catholic teachings; for instance my catholic cousin gave my mom Jehovah Witness Watchtowers that explain Heaven; I told my mom to throw that filth away. What should I do? Am I being too strict?

[/quote]

We're going to be in the same boat. Everyone we know is ineligable.

Ask your pastor to recommend someone in the parish.

[quote="Allegra, post:2, topic:306477"]
We're going to be in the same boat. Everyone we know is ineligable.

[/quote]

Many people in my family are cafeteria catholics and my best friends are pretty much agnostic even though they were baptized catholics! I'm the "eccentric" religious one of the bunch but I pray that Our Lord will open their eyes just as he opened mine :)

Your pastor can recommend godparents. However, check them out yourself!

Our pastor recently recommended a couple who doesn’t regularly attend Mass. The mom declined, thank goodness!

I feel for you. Keep in mind that only one godparent is necessary. My friend/former boss chose me as godmother to his daughter. All of their family/other friends were ineligible. The godmother to his two older sons is not really involved so he didn't want to choose her again. So he picked me, and there's no godfather.

If I were to have kids now, the only really faithful Catholic friends we have live in Canada now. I would probably choose them and have someone else stand in proxy. It makes me sad that my kids would probably never see their godparents, but it can be tough these days to find a good, practicing Catholics.

A child needs one sponsor. Your pastor can recommend a sponsor.

I never realized this! Is one sponsor sufficient for twins though?

[quote="Wintersdemise, post:8, topic:306477"]
I never realized this! Is one sponsor sufficient for twins though?

[/quote]

Sponsors can sponsor more than one child, so I suppose it would be sufficient.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.