Can't go to Catholic Church?

Just so you guys know, this isn’t Melissa, she’s my aunt. I’m just using her account (yes, I got her permission). Anyways, my family doesn’t really have a religion. My mom considers us Christian, but we’re not really Protestant or Catholic. Anyways, I attended Catholic Church with my aunt a few times, and really enjoyed it. I felt spiritually warm, comforted, and safe. At all the Protestant churches I’ve been to, I never felt that. I just felt nervous and kind of crazed. But my parents won’t let me go anymore, just because they don’t agree that the pope can be infallible. They always do this. They research a denomination, but when they find ONE thing they don’t agree with, they think it’s evil. I’m 15 now, so worst case scenario I just have to wait until I’m 18. What should I do?

Keep in mind they just want what’s best for you. They’re not doing it to be mean. My parents were the same way. We never attended church because they never found a denomination they agreed with 100%. The Priest at my local Catholic Church, Father Matthew, said “You will never find the perfect church, since churches are run by men, and men are imperfect”. Tell them all that stuff you told us. How you felt spiritually comforted there. If you just say “I want to go to Catholic Church”, they’re going to say no. You can always watch live Mass or recordings, just google “catholic mass online”. I know Church Cast is pretty good. Remember, if God wants you at the Catholic Church, you will be there.

I would pray for your parents, first and foremost.

What you can do is continure to attend Mass with your aunt, though refrain from receiving the Eucharist. Pray for them at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, and talk to Our Lord and Our Lady, your guardian angel and your parents’ guardian angel. A patron saint too.

If they really aren’t moving in their stance, there’s a book called “Why Catholics are Right” written by the wonderful Michael Coren. Perhaps you could buy a copy for them and have them read it? Even a copy of the Catechism.

You see, we are human. The Church is not, she is the mystical Body of Christ. Our Lady is mother of the Church. You can believe in the Church for now, and then if your parents finally agree, begin to truly convert. God will have you, and the desire to come home will only speed up the process!

God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

A similar quote I’ve here many a time was one made by an Orthodox priest who stated, ’ Keep looking for the perfect Church but be aware that the minute you join it then it will stop been that.’

As Carlj1497 mentioned, your parents are just doing what they think is right for you. In a non-confrontational way, you might want to find out exactly what their reasoning is behind you not attending the Catholic church. I know that my parents had a lot of false ideas about the Catholic faith and what it meant to be Catholic. They felt a lot better about me attending a Catholic Church after I did some research and addressed those misconceptions (though I am converting as an adult - I’d imagine the relationship dynamic between you and your parents is very different right now at your point in life).

As others have mentioned, pray for them, that they may understand your motivation!

Welcome Melissa -

One of my favorite stories is from our (former) parish priest who is now at another parish. When he was around 10 years old (he’s about 60 now) he was going down the road in the backseat of his parents car. He leaned forward talking to his parents in the front seat and said that when he grew up, he was going to become a Catholic priest someday. His parents replied that they were “Lutheran”. He replied that he would work it out. And he did. You too have a lot of time in front of you to make such decisions.

While in your parents house respect your parents and learn about the faith from your aunt reading books & using the internet. Would your parents let you attend a Catholic youth group? Perhaps you can ask.

I went to a college with a bunch of Jesuits. They are terrific. Here’s my favorite in today’s time. Listen any of his talks as you have time (his homilies are terrific)

m.youtube.com/results?q=pacwa&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&search_type=search_all&uploaded=

Pork (me) nPie (my sweet wife)

Maybe they have the same idea of papal infallibility I had before I began looking at the Church. I thought it meant Catholics believed the pope was perfect, that he could not sin, and that every word he said was accepted as dogma. No one told me that infallibility was limited, severely so, and that it did not mean the pope was perfect from the moment he ascended to the office. Needless to say, I found the idea ridiculous until I read more and learned the actual belief.

Yes, you will have to wait. Be patient and don’t be a pest about it. Pray and read and when you are out and about, perhaps you will be able to stop and hear Mass once in awhile. In the meantime perhaps your parents will change their mind.

God Bless. :thumbsup:

I would advise discussing the issue very, very patiently with your parents. Many parents develop this mental block whereby they see their kids as being perpetually six years old, and thus incapable of making sensible decisions. So, talk it through with them, express to them how you feel about the Catholic Church, how you feel that God is calling you to be there, and how much you want to regularly go there with your aunt, but be ready for them to take a really long time to come to accept that.

I think Georgia hit the nail on the head. A lot of people, and I mean A LOT of people misunderstand what the “infallible” part means concerning the Pope. His infallibility is Magisterial Infallibility, and it cannot contradict Sacred Tradition or Sacred Scripture. Essentially, you can try and explain to your parents that in terms of Magisterium, the definition is the “teaching authority” of the Church. If the Church were a college, he would be the dean. That’s the best way that I’ve found in explaining the Pope to those who might not understand the exact term “infallible”. It doesn’t raise the Pope above humans, it illustrates their education, dedication, and teachings of the Church. :slight_smile:

Have you tried compromising like the LCMS alliance of churches? from there maybe take baby steps into Catholicism.

Obviously you’re close to your aunt. So while you need to abide with your parents’ rulings for the moment, keep in close touch with her. And then when you do turn 18, do the RCIA program, and become Catholic.

In the meantime find out what you can about the Catholic Church.

As for your parents’ failure to find a perfect church, there is no such thing as solitary Christianity. God expects us to be a community, not a bunch of individuals all pulling our own way.

Thanks guys! I told my parents how I felt, how I felt like God wanted me there, and now they are gonna let me go regularly with my Aunt! But before I did that, I prayed about it. I also asked Mary to pray for me. I guess it worked!

I got straightened out on this by a nice charismatic Catholic bookstore owner when I was about 11. I was a very obnoxious Protestant kid, but she started me on the path away from prejudice and toward understanding. (My parents’ charitable attitude helped steer me in the right direction as well–they had plenty of prejudices themselves but treated individual Catholics with charity and graciousness, and rebuked me when I failed to do so.)

Edwin

This post made me smile. Truly, helping my husband slowly go from step one (Southern Baptist) to Reformed Presbyterian (infant baptism-yes, Real Presence-no) to Lutheran (where I was raised and confirmed, and yes to both Baptism Regeneration and Real Presence) to maybe RCC someday has been a slow process. We are 30 years into this journey…keep your eyes and heart looking forward to where the Holy Spirit is leading.

Praise be to God!

You will never be disappointed if you ask Mary to pray for you. Just understand that the answer to your requests can be yes, no, wait, or an answer you don’t understand. BTW, asking Mary every day might be good for you (and for all of us).

Please come from time time with questions or to share.

May the Holy Spirit always guide you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.