Caps question re forgiveness of sins

my local caps contact chapter suggested I ask my
question here.
he was so sure you would answer.

why won’t u answer such a simple question?
this cannot be a difficult or controversial topic.

" specifically which phrases in the mass spoken
by the priest forgives us our genial sins?"

Yosemite sammie

specifically which phrases in the mass
spoken by the priest forgives us our venial
sins?

specifically which phrases in the mass
spoken by the priest forgives us our venial
sins?

At the end of each form of the penitential the rubric states, “The absolution by the priest follows.” Then the priest says “May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.” The people answer, “Amen.”

What is a “local caps contact chapter”?

Context is everything. What is the context of these statements?

Venial sin is forgiven whenever we ask for forgiveness and by reception of the sacraments or by blessings and the use of sacramental objects. We receive forgiveness of venial sin through grace.

Absolution from a priest is not required for the remission of venial sins, whereas it is for mortal sin.

So, within the Mass, venial sin would be forgiven when we recite the Confiteor, Kyrie, or the Lord’s Prayer. Also within the context of Mass we would be forgiven venial sins when we receive any sacrament such as Holy Communion, Marriage, Ordination, Baptism, or Confirmation.

Outside of Mass, venial sins are forgiven when we receive any other sacrament such as Anointing of the Sick or Confession, or Marriage outside Mass, or through sacramental use such as a blessing from a priest or bishop, use holy water or holy oil, etc.

All of the above presume venial sin only. Of course, venial sin will not be remitted when someone is in a state of mortal sin. Such requires sacramental confession.

The Catechism specifies that receiving the Eucharist forgives venial sins (CCC 1394).

Some have posited that venial sins are forgiven during the penitential rite. I’ve never really come across anything authoritative which substantiates that definitively. It seems plausible to me that such could be true, though.

This is Aquinas’s position, and also sacramental such as holy water, blessings by a priest, etc.

newadvent.org/summa/4087.htm

ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur88.htm

Thanks. I knew the idea had to have come from somewhere. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure you have to go to Confession, but I’ve had priests say to think of your sins in your head and then they said that our sins are absolved so don’t quote me on that.

Receiving communion also clears some venial sin, as well as prayer, good works, using Holy a Water, or wearing a blessed medal or scapular

Any partial indulgence (prayer or good work) remits some venial sin

I only wanted “forgiveness of sins” responses whethe information can be sunstantiated
by the Catechism of the Catholic Church, answered in this site by a priest, an educator
with a masters or Ph.d in theology etc.

I apologize for having submitted my inquiry multiple times as I mispelled my words and
wanted to get it correct. my mentor led me to believe the response I would get would be
from a one learned individual. I did not know it would be from everyone and anyone.i
am not computer savvy.

thank you for your input. but as you can clearly see…
you are not all correct.
we must always abide by what is supported by the
Catechism of the Catholic Church.

thank you everyone for your time! I have now learned how this system works. 10-4

Can you please tell us what a “local caps contact chapter” is?

Mortal sins, yes, you need to go to Confession.
Venial sins can be ‘wiped out’ in many other ways.

He was probably assuming that you would submit your question to ‘Ask an Apologist’.

Yes, what does that strange phrase about caps mean?

[QUOT]E=YosemiteSammie;12463953]my local caps contact chapter suggested I ask my
question here.
he was so sure you would answer.

why won’t u answer such a simple question?
this cannot be a difficult or controversial topic.

" specifically which phrases in the mass spoken
by the priest forgives us our genial sins?"

Yosemite sammie

Its “venial” sins as a FYI

And its the Confiteor at the beginning of the Mass.:thumbsup:

“I CONFESS to Almighty God and to you my bothers and sisters that I have sinned it what I have done and what I have failed to do”…ect.

God Bless you and thanks for asking,

Patrick

I got sidetracked there for a moment trying to think about what kind of sins could be committed in a “genial” way. :smiley:

As the OP is not responding can anyone else tell me what a local caps contact chapter is?

I’m waiting with bated breath as well…

Well, it could be the Christian Assocition for Psychological Studies, or the Civil Air Patrol, but I cannot envision either one of them asking the question…

Yosemite noted a lack of familiarity with computers. Perhaps they are not reading each post?

So unless you look good in blue… BREATHE!:smiley:

Found another one: Canadian Association of Public Speakers.

And another: Canada Air Pilot (plural), which are the booklets containing the approach plates for all IFR approaches in Canada.

And another: Canadian Auto Parts Suppliers.

None of them seem likely in the context…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.