Capt. Phil Harris Dies

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) – A spokesman for The Discovery Channel says the captain of the “Deadliest Catch” fishing vessel Cornelia Marie has died.

Capt. Phil Harris suffered what his family described as a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the boat was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. He was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

A Discovery spokesman says the Harris family contacted the network Tuesday evening with word of his death.

Few details were released; however, Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman issued a statement on behalf of Harris’ sons, Jake and Josh, saying their father has “always been a fighter and continued to be until the end.”

The Discovery Channel reality show depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska. Harris’ fishing vessel was based in Seattle.

Please pray for his soul.

Aww. Sorry to hear that. I enjoyed watching the show with the salty character, Captain Phil. That's a very hard way to make a living and I don't think I saw him much without a cigarette in hand:(. May he rest in peace. Amen.

I love that show (via Netflix) and was shocked to hear of his death (53 years old). Lord have mercy.

A good warning to the rest of us: you just never know when....

May he rest in peace. :signofcross:

We watch Deadliest Catch here at work. We even have King crab days in honor of the show.

May Captain Phil, rest in peace.

Honest hardworking dad. May God rest his soul and care for his family.
I love the show. What a young man.

A real shame. The guy had ***** the size of watermelons. May God Bless him! He was a tough guy with a soft heart. God rest his soul.

I just read he was exactly my age. Which reminds me, time to go to confession.

That's depressing. He was a good man. The doctors warned him though. They warned him that if he kept going on these sleepless months, fueled by energy drinks and cigarettes alone, he would be not far from death.

Some people would rather die doing what they love, I suppose.

I only caught a few episodes of that show. Was he the one that had to go to a hospital before (shown on the show) and he received the Anointing of the Sick (they showed the priest at his bedside)?

[quote="Jennifer_G, post:9, topic:186294"]
I only caught a few episodes of that show. Was he the one that had to go to a hospital before (shown on the show) and he received the Anointing of the Sick (they showed the priest at his bedside)?

[/quote]

I think you're recollecting of Alex Debogorski of Ice Road Truckers. He had heart troubles and he is a very devout Catholic. (Or Orthodox, can't tell) He did have a priest by his bed in one episode.

Poor Captian Phil. He couldn't not fish; we will miss him. :sad_bye:

Ah, that’s the one. You can tell I don’t watch these types of shows much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.