CARA report:Spotlight on Vocations

nineteensixty-four.blogspot.com/2011/04/spotlight-on-vocations-interested-and.html

Notable is the frequency with which vocations are discouraged, including priests discouraging potential seminarians.

[quote="cara1, post:1, topic:240763"]
nineteensixty-four.blogspot.com/2011/04/spotlight-on-vocations-interested-and.html

Notable is the frequency with which vocations are discouraged, including priests discouraging potential seminarians.

[/quote]

Kind of sad when you think about it...What can we do about this?

Our parish Priest told us that when he was discerning to be a Priest a Religious Sister told him that perhaps he should live as a lay person...What did he do about this? Prayed, Prayed, Prayed, and Prayed some more.

A Priest (not in my Parish) told me that I might find the cloisterd life boring and to check out the active orders. <--I don't think he knows that I already have checked the active order out but the Lord calls us each individually--even when it comes to Religious life--perhaps some are called to teach, perhaps some are called as missionaries, and perhaps some are called to live a hidden life serving Our Lord, the Church, and His people with self-sacrifice and Prayers.

carmelspall.org/Vocations.htm

However, is this survey for one particular diocese? or all of United States? Canada? World-wide?

I'm not trying to start an "argument" or anything I'm just wondering.

[quote="goforgoal, post:2, topic:240763"]
Kind of sad when you think about it...What can we do about this?

Our parish Priest told us that when he was discerning to be a Priest a Religious Sister told him that perhaps he should live as a lay person...What did he do about this? Prayed, Prayed, Prayed, and Prayed some more.

A Priest (not in my Parish) told me that I might find the cloisterd life boring and to check out the active orders. <--I don't think he knows that I already have checked the active order out but the Lord calls us each individually--even when it comes to Religious life--perhaps some are called to teach, perhaps some are called as missionaries, and perhaps some are called to live a hidden life serving Our Lord, the Church, and His people with self-sacrifice and Prayers.

carmelspall.org/Vocations.htm

However, is this survey for one particular diocese? or all of United States? Canada? World-wide?

I'm not trying to start an "argument" or anything I'm just wondering.

[/quote]

Go to the link. The study was sponsored and paid for by the USCCB (US Conference of Catholic Bishops) and performed by CARA, (Center of Research in the Apostolate) the best (the only?) sociology group in the US, which is based at Georgetown University. The report gives all the particulars and numbers about how the data was obtained.

Thank you very much for this. All of the links you provide are very helpful. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.