CARAVAN heading to The U.S.A ( POLL )

Like that has never been a disaster!

What would Jesus do? That’s what I think every time I see people talking about immigration

The Caravan supposedly has nothing to do with immigration- these people are supposed to just be seeking asylum because of a crisis in their own countries which they want to return to. Not to immigrate permanently to America.

Sort of like my old friends who came to America after the Iranian Revolution because they were personas non grata in their own country due to their love for the Shah and the Peacock Throne. Their intention was always to return to Iran, and presumably still is.

" We hold these truths to be self - evident : that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Or we can paraphrase Charles Maurrus

'For monarchy to become evil tyranny , one man must very evil. For democracy to become evil tyranny, a majority of the people must be totally evil. Which is more likely?’

Or, if you want a more recent philosopher:

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it’s evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

No one is going to buy what you are selling. Well, maybe the few who could get power to control others might.

I’m not delusional enough to think it’s feasible to bring monarchies back. But I do not think democracy is all it’s cracked up to be.

Godless Democracy is little different from tyranny, it just takes longer to accomplish the evils they set out to enact.

Godless Monarchy is tyranny.

The problem isn’t so much the form of government, but the fact that people are godless.

Easier to replace one man than an entire population though.

But we’ve derailed this thread enough.

Do you think it might be hypocritical for conservatives to be critical of the Honduran caravan while a couple of decades back, they would have been more sympathetic to the Cuban refugees due to the political situation? To be far, both groups are/were in a tough situation. Doesn’t Monroe Doctrine give us adequate jurisdiction and to help out our Central American neighbors? For example why not strengthen humanitarian assistance and development programming to create brighter futures for the region and reduce incentives for illegal migration?

America has enough space and money to let in 100 million refugees, why the worry about 5000?

I thought a wall was being built anyway?

If someone wants to continue an anti-democracy thread, promote a theocracy, plutocracy, fascism, or whatever, why doesn’t someone start a new thread instead of this hijack agenda stuff.

This whole sad episode reminds me of the sketch; Derek and Clive Live: “Squatter and the Ant” (Peter Cooke, Dudley Moore).

The ant represents the caravan, see if Squatter reminds you of anyone. slightly colourful language.

44783301_10156995019727189_4234244644642226176_n

Yesteryears Caravan…(((HI Gramma)))….40th row, 12th in…lol

Why? What if the first border is to a country that won’t welcome refugees, or that country is under the thumbs of the people you’re running from?

If I’m fleeing from someone with a long reach, maybe it would.

Why is that not a legitimate reason to run away?

Immigration laws have changed over the years. They also differ between countries. I see your point, but it really is a different situation.

I am glad your Gramma made it here! I pray she has had a wonderful life.

I see people staying this a lot. I understand what is being stated. But let me ask, would you want to claim asylum in Guatemala or even Mexico? Neither country is any better than what these people are fleeing.

What is the purpose of claiming asylum?

It’s because your human rights are being violated in the place you’re escaping from.

So you have to escape the sovereignty of your own nation.

There is a distinction between an asylum-seeker and a normal resident alien abroad.

If you want to be a resident alien abroad, there’s one process. If you want to claim asylum, there’s another process.

I understand that. There is a reasonable expectation that if they claim asylum in either Guatemala or Mexico, that they will not be escaping anything though. The situations in both countries are on the same level as most of Latin America. Why do you think so many Guatemalans and Mexicans have joined them on the journey north? The are sections of Mexico that the murder rate is HIGHER than in Honduras. Kidnapping rates are higher. Economically they aren’t much better off, and many Mexicans are worse off. Guatemala is not any better, especially economically. It is somewhat safer. A former diocese i lived in started sending their priests to Guatemala for Spanish immersion programs instead of Mexico for safety reasons. Mexico has the highest murder rates for priests in the world. Ask any Mexican and they will tell you it would not make sense to apply for asylum on their country.

But why north?

Why not south to Costa Rica or Panama, which are both significantly safer, and have the additional benefit of a common language and culture, in addition to being a fraction of the distance?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.