Cardinal Approves Blessing of Same-Sex Unions

It’s NOT pastoral. It approves mortal sin. Which itself is a mortal sin

Here’s advice that is for all time

Ez 3:
17 “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. 18 If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. 19 But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you will have saved your life. 20 Again, if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die; because you have not warned him, he shall die for his sin, and his righteous deeds which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood I will require at your hand. 21 Nevertheless if you warn the righteous man not to sin, and he does not sin, he shall surely live, because he took warning; and you will have saved your life.”

That advice has eternal consequences.

Athanasius_Mary:

I think that taking this more pastoral approach is generally good step for the Church, personally. Anyone agree or disagree? Not trying to cause a stir, but I did think this deserved consideration and discussion.

What would you say about a man who “marries” his mother? (Or a daughter “marrying” her father?
How about a son “marrying” his father? Should we come up with a “blessing” for them too?)

What would be the “pastoral approach” there?

Would you say the Apostle St. Paul WAS being “pastoral” with his admonition?

Or did St. Paul get it wrong and such a situation deserves “consideration and discussion”?

1st CORINTHIANS 5:1-2 It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and of a kind that is not found even among pagans; for a man is living with his father’s wife. 2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.

For those that want to carry out the will of God, the answer seems clear (not muddled in ambiguities).

God bless.

Cathoholic

Just that a man cannot love a man or a woman love a woman in the same way that a man and a woman can love each other.

See, this really is the recurring problem here.

What if I said “I don’t like slavery or child sex abuse, but it makes no difference to me”.

If you’re going to say “this is the Truth” and then follow it up with “meh, I don’t care”, what does that say?

Are you referring to the evident differences in physical intimacy (the mechanics of sexual relations) or differences in love? If the latter - can you explain what you have in mind?

It’s clearly all about sexual intimacy. Who ever talks about friendship or familial relationships in these conversations anyways?

Love these days is so routinely confused with sex. Opposition to SSM was criticized as rejecting “love” but it was nothing of the sort.

That’s the price of people just automatically accepting someone’s behavior. I can pretty much promise when you that happens, those people have friends/family they are putting before God or just blindly virtue-signaling to whatever the flavour of the month is.

Ah, yes “love”. A KKK member once said to a group of Tea Partiers who refused to let him in at their rally that his KKK shirt was a “message of love”.

They didn’t buy it.

Archbishop Chaput does not understand the matter to be about a private blessing. He writes:

“Over the past few weeks, a number of senior voices in the leadership of the Church in Germany have suggested (or strongly implied) support for the institution of a Catholic blessing rite for same-sex couples who are civilly married or seeking civil marriage. On the surface, the idea may sound generous and reasonable. But the imprudence of such public statements is — and should be — the cause of serious concern. It requires a response because what happens in one local reality of the global Church inevitably resonates elsewhere — including eventually here.

In the case at hand, any such “blessing rite” would cooperate in a morally forbidden act, no matter how sincere the persons seeking the blessing. Such a rite would undermine the Catholic witness on the nature of marriage and the family. It would confuse and mislead the faithful. And it would wound the unity of our Church, because it could not be ignored or met with silence.”

That wasn’t the article I read…but anyway…

So, we have a clarification. This was a non-story, based on translation problems, and I think a little on a leading question.

Did you read what I even wrote about what true love is?

If a Catholic person in one of these unions, then if he truly loves and understand his faith he will act in accord to the good of that person, not his own affections.

Think of a father and son on the Titanic. The life boat is taking women and children only. His natural affection compels him to be close to his son up until the end, where they survive together or die together, but have each other. His love, if he has a father’s love, will compel him to unhesitatingly send him off to safety.

Or maybe he understands the situation better than most?

Archbishop Chaput understands the matter very clearly.

Yes - that is my point.

The question is, what does this blessing signify?

I do not see the reason to bless a same sex couple, if their marriage is illegitimate in the eyes of the Church. Is that being cold-hearted? I don’t know. Someone please explain to me what this blessing signifies

According to “The World Over,” that hasn’t yet been clarified.

Ummmn, the couples involved and any heterosexual who understands that, in a cold world, people like to treasure and celebrate and even institutionalise loving caring and committed relationships to the extent of wanting them as part of their family.

Well, I suppose that so long as the majority of Catholics believe it signifies approval of sodomy it will never happen.

But if the majority of Catholics through some miracle could achieve the same level of spiritual maturity as Pope Francis and see grace working even in such irregular relationships then the blessing would not signify this.

Its a chicken and egg thing.

It wont happen so long as members are spiritually immature,
it could happen if they were not.

The perennial problem.

The reasonable risk of confusion is sufficient to ensure it will not be formally endorsed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.