Cardinal Arinze vs. the "Fundamental Option" of Mortal Sin

youtu.be/uQ8CDmXYugw

Cardinal Arinze refutes the notion that one has to formally wish to alienate himself from God for an evil act to rise to the level of mortal sin.

:yyeess: I :heart: Cardinal Arinze! I was rooting for him for Pope in '05 though I have been quite pleased with BXVI :yup:. Arinze is an excellent example for all us in the Church of how to get back to the basics of our Faith. No nonsense, just commonsense! Yes, he can be strict when it’s called for - yet he is a man full of such joy!

n.b. Toward the end of the video is as good an explanation you could want about the “God’s not going to send me to Hell for missing Mass” tired old argument. Share with anyone who needs good solid catechesis on this issue. :thumbsup:

Very nice…Calls it like it is…

Peace
James

Now...what can't he be 15 years younger?

No kidding! :frowning: He looks plenty healthy and energetic - I think he could do the job anyway!

Great video. I watched it a few days ago and laughed out loud when he said that those promoting the Fundamental Option view are not even good theologians.

I watched this video and it is confusing to me. I just do n or understand the concept of how to know what is mortal sin and his explanation does not clarify it for me.

[quote="AnneTeresa, post:7, topic:317208"]
I watched this video and it is confusing to me. I just do n or understand the concept of how to know what is mortal sin and his explanation does not clarify it for me.

[/quote]

If you have specific questions, we may be able to help. I'm willing to give it a go if you are up for it.

[quote="mburn16, post:4, topic:317208"]
Now...what can't he be 15 years younger?

[/quote]

Amen. He appears to be in excellent shape for 80 but the pressures of the office are enormous.

I agree about the fundamental option- it is nonsense but it is still being taught in RCIA and Confirmation, aaargh!:banghead:

[/quote]

Try reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part Three, Section III, Nos. 1852-1864. If that still seems complex, try something basic like an upper-grades Baltimore Catechism, or A Catechism for Adults by Rev. William J. Cogan, which is used in lots of RCIA classes. Hope this helps! :)

[/quote]

Try this as a very basic understanding....

Do you know what a sin is? -

A sin is an offense against God.

Do you know what is a sin? -

The 10 commandments summarize what is a sin. The Catechism (in the sections suggested in the post above) states that the 10 commandments describe what is "grave matter".

Now - Knowing the above - if you knowingly and willingly commit an act (or knowingly and willingly entertain a thought) that is an offense against God - that is a mortal sin.

There are variations to this simple approach - but if you can get a handle on this, it will be of great help to you (it has been to me).

Peace
James

[quote="Scottgun, post:1, topic:317208"]
youtu.be/uQ8CDmXYugw

Cardinal Arinze refutes the notion that one has to formally wish to alienate himself from God for an evil act to rise to the level of mortal sin.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Its really clear.
What specifically do you not understand? As others have said we will try to clarify for you.

He's the man.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.