Cardinal Burke and Bishop Schneider ask for prayer and fasting

The National Catholic Register newspaper recently posted that Cardinal Raymond Burke and Bishop Schneider are warning about six “serious theological errors and heresies” in the Amazonian Synod working document, and calling for prayer and fasting to prevent them being approved.

They suggest we pray a decade of the rosary daily and fast once a week from Sept. 17 to Oct. 26.

Anne

22 Likes

Dear Lord may Your will be done that this results in the absolute best for Your Church. Help those at the center of any Church “meetings” to make the RIGHT/BEST decisions for the Church. Please Lord don’t let harmful decisions come in to control what happens in the Church or what is done in the Church.

18 Likes

I read what they wrote – we’ve gone New Age and started adopting the beliefs of Amazon tribes!!

1 Like

This is the second or third request from a bishop that we do some sort of prayer or fasting for the Synod.

Fr. Heilman already has his US Grace Force doing the 54-day Rosary Novena for the Church as the Synod approaches, way before any of these guys got around to asking folks to pray.

3 Likes

On another thread you asked someone:

Your profile says you’re Catholic… Do you have doubts about the lasting nature of the Church?

Would this be appropriate to ask of these cardinals? Or of others worrying here?

I don’t know. It seems to fit better here

2 Likes

Certainly, praying FOR the Synod won’t be bad.

3 Likes

I don’t trust their motives and therefore reject their request.

1 Like

I am very much a Catholic, and I am a great admirer of Cardinal Burke. I plan on praying and fasting, as he requested.

As for the lasting nature of the church, I believe Jesus was very clear on the subject and how the gates of hell would not prevail.

And you?

God bless Anne

Dovekin

September 14

On another thread you asked someone:

Your profile says you’re Catholic… Do you have doubts about the lasting nature of the Church?

Would this be appropriate to ask of these cardinals? Or of others worrying here?

I don’t know. It seems to fit better here

4 Likes

I’m sure in their own minds and hearts Cardinal Raymond Burke and Bishop Schneider mean well; however, my concern is that their words combined with the final result of the Amazon Synod will likely only bring about a great deal of anger in many people.

4 Likes

Is there a link to the document and is there a list of the alleged errors and heresies

2 Likes

I believe in praying for the Church or the Synod. It’s always good to pray and ask God to guide his church. But I’m not coming at it from a standpoint of the Synod possibly harming or destroying the Church or any of that. God will guide it.

I also note that Fr. Heilman has framed the intention as prayers “for the Church as the Amazon Synod approaches” with nothing extra. He tends to frame his activities in broad terms in order to get the biggest audience possible, although it’s clear he himself is coming from a traditional perspective. We’re also praying for the restoration of the faith in the United States, for the personal intentions of everybody joining the novena, and for the timely publication of Fr. Calloway’s book on Consecration to St. Joseph. All of these are good solid intentions that a group of 50,000 people or however many he has on his list now can all get behind. Not hysteria or worry.

I don’t buy into the Chicken Little mentality that some of these cardinals and bishops propagate about the Church. Cardinals and bishops are shrewd politicians, they’ve been at this a long time. I see them as, on the one hand, holy men, but on the other hand, similar to senators. Plus you have to consider the media sources. A magazine called “Crisis Magazine” is going to be coming up with a new crisis for every issue or every article because the people who read it are looking for a crisis under every bush.

7 Likes

Bit early to say that given that we don’t know what the “final result of the Amazon Synod” is going to be, do we?

I don’t get much out of articles bashing a “working document” when I don’t see any link for I myself to read the “working document”. It’s hearsay from both sides what’s in it. Yes we all know that the German cardinals are progressive and that Burke and Schneider are not. Shouldn’t we have all sides represented in the Church?

3 Likes

I do not really believe in questioning anyone’s “Catholicism.” I believe Burke and Schneider are Catholic, even though they have attitudes and ideas almost as crazy as my own. I even believe I am Catholic!

The question was originally addressed to someone expressing irenic and ecumenical ideas. It just makes more sense aimed at “Chicken Little” types.

I encourage everyone to pray for the participants in the Amazon Synod and for the success of the Synod in making the Gospel better known throughout the world.

@Tis_Bearself

If I’m not mistaken, believing in the “lasting nature of Church” certainly doesnt equate to a belief that a synod will contain infallibility regarding every pronouncement it produces.

I have quite alot of confidence and admiration in Cardinal Burke to trust that there exists a real threat close to this synod.

4 Likes

I would NOT pray against the proposed vote, BUT I will
pray and fast FOR the Real Church, that it will prevail
against heresy and doctrinal error. I do not know any-
thing about the Amazonian Catholic Church, but if
there is a wide support for their change of heart, then
MAYBE it is of God, I just pray that God’s will be done
and God Bless the Amazons!!

2 Likes

I dont think it’s simply a matter of “progressive” thinkers, according to Burke. He might even say, “Come, all you progressive thinkers” yet also say, “Let all participants leave heretical opinions with the world”.

1 Like

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the faith would immediately recognize the numerous errors and wayward new-age thinking contained in the Amazon Synod Instrumentum Laboris.

Keep in mind that at the end of last year’s “synod on youth,” the final document contained a “surprise” addition of a section on “synodality,” even though the bishops hadn’t even discussed it before the last day. But it was ram-rodded through, with implications that local “synods” can then be used to usher in change to the rest of the Church.

Imagine that Teilhard de Chardin, New Ways Ministry, a few local yoga studios, and some naive indigenous studies majors from Georgetown came together to write a theological document on native people. They would come up with the Amazon Synod working document.

7 Likes

Do you have a link to the working document?

Synod for the Amazon

Working Document

4 Likes
2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.