Cardinal Burke: Liturgical abuse ‘strictly correlated’ with the ‘moral corruption’ of our time

lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-burke-liturgical-abuse-strictly-correlated-with-the-moral-corrupti

Cardinal Raymond Burke, prefect of the Vatican’s Apostolic Signatura, told Zenit’s Edward Pentin that a fitting worship of God is essential to the moral life.“There’s no question in my mind that the abuses in the sacred liturgy, reduction of the sacred liturgy to some kind of human activity,” he said, “is strictly correlated with a lot of moral corruption and with a levity in catechesis that has been shocking and has left generations of Catholics ill prepared to deal with the challenges of our time by addressing the Catholic faith to those challenges.

“You can see it in the whole gamut of Church life,” he added

Cardinal Burke said it’s a “Communist conception” to say that liturgy is less important than charitable works. The liturgy “is the source of any truly charitable works we do, any good works we do,” he explained. “So the person whose heart is filled with charity wants to do good works will, like Mother Teresa, give his first intention to the worship of God so that when he goes to offer charity to a poor person or someone in need, it would be at the level of God Himself, and not some human level.”

Thank God somebody says it.

Yawn…

Is he still wearing that cappa magna? Kind’ve ridiculous that he dresses better than the pope.

“There’s no question in my mind that the abuses in the sacred liturgy, reduction of the sacred liturgy to some kind of human activity,” he said, “is strictly correlated with a lot of moral corruption and with a levity in catechesis that has been shocking and has left generations of Catholics ill prepared to deal with the challenges of our time by addressing the Catholic faith to those challenges." This is kind of a shocking statement, but on reflection I think there is much to be said for it. I doubt that it would make much sense to someone who had not lived through a great deal of what he is talking about. But he is right. Reduction of sacred liturgy to a human activity lends itself to moral corruption, and levity(!) in catechesis.

Liturgical abuse is a demonstration of disobedience. If our sacred ministers, who make sacred vows/promises to be obedient, cannot submit themselves to the will of the Church, then whose example can we follow? We are like lost sheep who can’t find our way. The only solution to lost sheep is a confident shepherd who can lead from the front.

I just got back from Haiti. I wonder how much good could be done there for the cost of his Cappa Magna. I guess that makes me a Communist, too. So be it.

Good, let’s start at my parish level. Let’s sell all my parish’s temporal goods and give the proceeds to the poor. Now where are we?

We have no worship building, no sacred vessels or vestments, and we can’t afford a steady stream of wine and hosts, therefore Mass is canceled forever.

We can’t afford to pay anyone’s salary and we don’t have an office anyway, so my job is eliminated, and I become one more poor person.

All the contractors who used to do work at the parish: our IT managers, our roofers and bathroom supply company, our electricians and maintenance workers, they are looking for other contracts because they lost ours.

Everybody with need for the sacraments must go elsewhere. Anyone with a certificate request must contact the diocese because we no longer have anywhere to store the registers required by Canon Law, and we don’t have a telephone to answer anyway.

We have no piano or organ, so choir rehearsal is canceled. We don’t need one anyway.

We have no meeting halls, so the Knights of Columbus won’t be meeting any more. We’re giving all our money to the poor, so there isn’t any insurance for members and their families, and there is no revenue to support pro-life causes, or vocations to the priesthood and the religious life. There are no Patriotic Degree Knights in regalia to serve as an honor guard at liturgies, which are canceled anyway.

But look at all the good you did by giving the money to the poor!

Perhaps we might have another thread to discuss priestly vestments? It would be nice to keep this thread on track. I believe that Pope Francis has also noted the linkage between faith/liturgy and charitable outreach. My bolding in the article from the Catholic herald below:
catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/07/05/lumen-fidei-an-overview-of-pope-franciss-first-encyclical/

The “Magisterium of the Pope and the bishops in communion with him,” the Pope writes, “ensures our contact with the primordial source and thus provides the certainty of attaining to the word of Christ in all its integrity.”

Yet faith in its fullness is more than doctrine, Pope Francis writes. It is “the new light born of an encounter with the true God, a light which touches us at the core of our being and engages our minds, wills and emotions, opening us to relationships lived in communion”.

Thus the primary means of transmitting faith is not a book or a homily, but the sacraments, especially baptism and the Eucharist, which “communicate an incarnate memory, linked to the times and places of our lives, linked to all our senses; in them the whole person is engaged as a member of a living subject and part of a network of communitarian relationships”.

The belief that the “Son of God took on our flesh” and “entered our human history” also leads Christians “to live our lives in this world with ever greater commitment and intensity,” the Pope writes, arguing that faith inspires both the use of human reason and pursuit of the common good."

This seems to resonate with the suggestion from Cardinal Burke that “The liturgy “is the source of any truly charitable works we do, any good works we do,” … “So the person whose heart is filled with charity wants to do good works…”

May God bless all who visit this thread. Amen.

Wise words from His Eminence!
It’s what Pope Benedict XVI, and many more, have been saying the entire time.
:thumbsup:

A bit rude to brush off the good and learned words of a Prince of the Church, don’t ya think? Not sure, what the cappa magna has anything to do with this either…

wow ,you must be a Thomist.

What does “Kind’ve” mean?

Yes!:thumbsup:

I met Cardinal Burke last summer, and was able to spend a little time with him in a retreat setting. He is the most humble man, and so kind-hearted.

We shouldn’t criticize him for what he wears. We don’t know why he makes the choices he makes. It might have been a gift, and he wears what he wears to honor the giver.

God doesn’t look at the outside, he looks at the heart.

The thread is about whether liturgical abuse is correlated with moral corruption. I’m not sure, and I would love to hear more discussion about this topic. Since I was raised Evangelical Protestant, we had no liturgy to abuse, and yet, Evangelical Protestants tend to be the most “moral” people.

Oh, of course, there are those who are living a lie, who sneak around, who have a double life, who are hypocrites. Same could be said for Catholics.

But I knew a lot of Evangelical Protestants really well, up close and personal, over the years, and I can testify that they lived pretty moral lives! My husband and I lived (and still live) squeaky-clean moral lives–the worst thing we do is watch…television! Gasp! The shows that come on after 8:00 p.m. GASP!

But we don’t have that demon cable TV! Bwoo hah hah!

I knew quite a few Evangelical Protestants who wouldn’t even bring a newspaper into their home until they had cut out and burned the horoscope, because they didn’t want to bring “occult abominations” into their homes. Sigh–so alright, I confess–my husband and I shamelessly bring the newspaper and…yes, MAGAZINES into our homes and sit them on the same table along with our Bible and Catechism! GASP!

Anyway–I really would like to hear more posts from people about the OP topic. It’s interesting and timely.

I’m sorry, but doesn’t this comment seem a lot like Judas’ complaint in the Gospel? The woman anoints Our Lord with precious, expensive oil to show her love for Him…Judas complains that the oil should be sold and the proceeds given to the poor. Our Lord rebukes him. The Catholic Church does much for the poor…probably more than anyone else… but there has to be a balance. God deserves our best. Do you think Cardinal Burke wears the cappa magna for personal glory? I hardly think so…by doing so, he brings honor and dignity to the office of bishop, by which he shares in the high priesthood of Jesus Christ Our Lord and King. Our faith is a sacramental faith rooted in the Incarnation: God became man. The physical trappings of our faith are an extension of this principle - the unique traditional clothing of bishops represents the unique office they hold and points us towards the glory of Christ Whom they represent. Pope Francis, as a consecrated religious, by electing not to wear some of the more “elaborate” trappings of his papal office, has decided to call attention to Christ the suffering servant Who emptied Himself for us. Cardinal Burke, and Pope Benedict for that matter, by resurrecting some of these more traditional garments, are bringing attention to Christ the King Who reigns in glory. Both are true…both are valid. The Church, after all, empties herself as she mourns the Lord’s death on Good Friday, but then celebrates with great joy and feasting when she celebrates His resurrection on Easter Sunday.

Perhaps you would argue that men and women shouldn’t wear nice suits or dresses to their weddings?

Cardinal Burke said it’s a “Communist conception” to say that liturgy is less important than charitable works. The liturgy “is the source of any truly charitable works we do, any good works we do,” he explained. “So the person whose heart is filled with charity wants to do good works will, like Mother Teresa, give his first intention to the worship of God so that when he goes to offer charity to a poor person or someone in need, it would be at the level of God Himself, and not some human level.”

What the Cardinal said is so straight forward. How could anyone does not understand it?
What he said is that God is our ultimate source, away from God we can do nothing. Liturgy - the worship of God is where our strength comes from. The communist is godless. To say worship God is less important than charitable works is to put human work above God, therefore, it is Communist-like.

I was curious myself and found this:

protofusion.org/wordpress/2009/08/kind-of-or-kindve/

:amen:

Love for his office, how dare he.

Communist, no; but, you do sound a little like these folks (Mark 14:4-5).

I fail to see how that has anything to do with the price of tea in China.

Kind have you to share that information.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems liturgical abuse IS moral corruption. But moral corruption is more than liturgical abuse.

Hopefully more bishops will wake up to this reality and support proper worship.

Hooray for Cardinal Burke! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.