Cardinal Burke: Media hijacking Synod on the Family

Next month’s Synod on the Family has undergone an attempted hijacking by some media sources, which are fueling expectations that impossible changes will be made to Church doctrine, said the head of the Church’s highest court.

“I don’t think you have to be brilliant to see that the media has, for months, been trying to hijack this Synod,” said Cardinal Raymond Burke, prefect for the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura – the office which, among other things, handles annulment cases in the Church.

In particular, he told EWTN News in a recent interview, the media has been presenting Pope Francis as being in favor of allowing Holy Communion for those who are divorced and remarried, and other such propositions, even though this is not the case.

ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/Vatican.php?id=10799

I trust the Bishops to know what is best.

Yes, the media is going to sound off on everything, but this isn’t going to shape the process undertaken by the successors of the Apostles.

Encouraging to hear this…quite honestly, with the release of the new publication and catechism on Marriage coming out next month (of which Cardinal Burke contributed) those who foresee surprises in the synod will surely be disappointed.

Walter Cardinal Kasper seems to be pushing the envelope on this one though. On another thread I posted that this situation at the upcoming Synod is what I term the “The 1650 Factor”. CCC # 1650 deals with this topic succinctly and effectively. There is no wiggle room here.

Yes, we’ve been nervous for months and much, much prayer is needed, but I’m not worried as God’s plan for His Church will not be thwarted. He may, however, allow his faithful to be persecuted to an even greater extent. And we very well could have our trust severely tested.

Good to hear from Card Burke :slight_smile:

As much as I sympathize and agree with what he’s saying here about the media, I think the Church has no one to blame but itself. The way the Synod was set up, and the events leading up to it, have been just begging for this kind of media attention.

Oh, and I REALLY wish we could hear more from Card Burke on this:

“In particular, he told EWTN News in a recent interview, the media has been presenting Pope Francis as being in favor of allowing Holy Communion for those who are divorced and remarried, and other such propositions, even though this is not the case.”

I tend to agree. Men of God (or even men aspiring to be Men of God) are no match for a widespread, powerful secular media with an aggressive agenda against much of what the Church embraces. PR is not the Vatican’s forte, nor should it be. And, let’s face it, the Church does have her dark corners, conflicts and failings - as long as she is in this world. The media pounce on and expose every weakness.

I think a lot of Catholics have worried and been anxious about this Synod, on both sides of the debate. We’ve been given a lot of misinformation. Cardinal Kasper has been a part of that.

It is helpful for me to see these trials and tribulations as having a good side. They force you to constantly focus on your faith, to see everything through its lens. You come out the better for it. I am not sure comfort and security are always the best thing for us. Don’t just avoid tribulation or conflicts for the sake of superficial peace. Your peace should come in humility and prayer in communion with God. Not in the world.

I think Cardinal Burke and a few other prelates collaborated on a new book relating to this very topic. The book was just released.

Some say that this book will get Cardinal Burke removed from his current post.

Stormy waters for Holy Mother Church!

Yes, I think you’re right.

This introduction is posted with Ignatius Press, the publisher, concerning this book, which supports your comments that it may be problematic for Cardinal Burke. Interestingly, the book is released to coincide with the beginning of the Synod.

Cardinal Kasper appeals to early Church practice in order to support his view. The contributors bring their wealth of knowledge and expertise to bear upon this question, concluding that the Bible and the Church Fathers do not support the kind of “toleration” of civil marriages following divorce advocated by Cardinal Kasper. They also examine the Eastern Orthodox practice of oikonomia (understood as “mercy” implying “toleration”) in cases of remarriage after divorce and in the context of the vexed question of Eucharistic Communion. The book traces the long history of Catholic resistance to this practice, revealing the serious theological and pastoral difficulties it poses in past and current Orthodox Church practice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.