Cardinal Dolan: American Sisters Will Survive Examination by Rome

You probably know that I did my graduate studies in the history of the Catholic Church in the United States.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/headlinebistro_complete/~4/Okb7fPu39nI

More…

On one hand it is great to see an article that praises the importance of sisters and calls for restraints of accusation against one side or the other. On the other hand, it is sad that this article needs to be written: that people are not keenly aware of the importance of our sisters and that it is necessary to request that people show basic civility toward each other.

Civility is called for and this article contains it in spades. Bravo Cardinal.

But clarity is also called for and it is an ignoring of reality to not face the fact that the LCWR has embraced some Loony Tune ideas in direct conflict with the gospel. Errors need to be corrected as gently and charitably as possible, but smiling and tolerating the teaching of dangerous untruths under the banner of catholicism is neither charity nor civility. Sin DOES separate us from God. We DO all need a Savior. Our feelings are a poor substitute for revealed truth as a moral compass. Regardless of their personal sincerity and good intentions, anybody who teaches otherwise and claims the authority of the Church in doing so needs to be corrected. That what the bishops are for.

They’re probably just trying to keep the politics down so that the CDF can do its job. And when I say politics, I’m not talking about our discussions as Catholics. I’m talking about the mayhem that regularly occurs in the news media.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.