Cardinal Dolan Congratulates President Obama On Re-Election

Dear President Obama,
In my capacity as President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, I write to express my congratulations on your re-election as President of the United States.The people of our country have again entrusted you with a great responsibility.The Catholic Bishops of the United States offer our prayers that God will give you strength and wisdom to meet the difficult challenges that face America.
In particular, we pray that you will exercise your office to pursue the common good, especially in care of the most vulnerable among us, including the unborn, the poor, and the immigrant.We will continue to stand in defense of life, marriage, and our first, most cherished liberty, religious freedom.We pray, too, that you will help restore a sense of civility to the public order, so our public conversations may be imbued with respect and charity toward everyone.
May God bless you and Vice President Biden as you prepare for your second term in service to our country and its citizens.
Sincerely yours,
Timothy Cardinal Dolan
Archbishop of New York
President
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

usccb.org/news/2012/12-183.cfm

God bless Cardinal Dolan. I especially like the part after, "In particular..." :thumbsup:

There was a piece recently on his note which pointed out how similar this was to the one he sent in 2008.

In particular, the first and last parts were identical.

But where the Cardinal now says "We will continue to stand in defense of life, marriage, and [religious liberty]", in 2008 he worded this more as "stand with us [in defense of life, marriage, and [religious liberty]]", similar to the inviting language used here for pursuing the common good and restoring civility. So on those original three points, formerly the language was inviting, but now it is subtly, but clearly, adversarial.

I continue to be amazed at the people who thing the Cardinal is a modernist lapdog. He knows exactly what he is doing. Time will only tell whether he was as effective as he could have been, but there is no doubt the man is faithful and an asset in the New Evangielization, not a liability.

We pray, too, that you will help restore a sense of civility to the public order, so our public conversations may be imbued with respect and charity toward everyone

I wonder if perhaps we on this forum should heed this line. I've been ashamed to be a part of this forum the last few days. The anger, resentment and meanness is palpable...

God bless

[quote="Myqyl, post:3, topic:304535"]
I wonder if perhaps we on this forum should heed this line. I've been ashamed to be a part of this forum the last few days. The anger, resentment and meanness is palpable...

God bless

[/quote]

Nothing in Mr. Obama's public life indicates that he feels a need to be civil with anyone who disagrees with him. His record would also seem to indicate that he regards cordiality and deference as weakness.

God bless

[/quote]

Not to derail this thread but there is a term called "righteous indignation" and how can that be expressed (if indeed it should be expressed) with charity?

My Grandfather used to say, "Sometimes, its cruel to be kind."

So I guess my hope that we could all start acting like Christians was a pipe dream...

Guess I'll go see if the Protestants are behaving better...

:sad_bye:

[quote="Myqyl, post:6, topic:304535"]
So I guess my hope that we could all start acting like Christians was a pipe dream...

Guess I'll go see if the Protestants are behaving better...

:sad_bye:

[/quote]

It's only human to feel sad and frustrated, especially over an issue of this magnitude.

And it's only natural to feel angry, especially over a decision of this sort, and especially when those who ought to know better have contributed to it.

But anger, unless channeled the right way, is not constructive.

Take the example of Our Lord. He was certainly not "happy and smiling" when he drove the money-changers out of the Temple. But what did he do after that? He didn't go on a rampage against the Pharisees, Sadducees or Romans. Instead, he remained in the Temple, teaching, healing those in need, and returning to Bethany when he had to.

As a wise Protestant once said, "Living well is the best revenge." Sooner or later, things will look a little different to everyone concerned. (Resists urge to lecture about our politicians, and how they make Obama look like Ronald Reagan crossed with Charlemagne.) :thumbsup:

[quote="Tietjen, post:1, topic:304535"]
usccb.org/news/2012/12-183.cfm

God bless Cardinal Dolan. I especially like the part after, "In particular..." :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Lose a battle. Win a war.

Pick ourselves up, I urge. People in the trenches--smile as if we have won. And united behind our Bishops, we, too, will overcome. All together now -- push!

Blessings,
granny

The human person is worthy of profound respect from the moment of conception.

[quote="JMJSHJ, post:5, topic:304535"]
Not to derail this thread but there is a term called "righteous indignation" and how can that be expressed (if indeed it should be expressed) with charity?

My Grandfather used to say, "Sometimes, its cruel to be kind."

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Many christians today see charity as a purely earthly concept. Charity means to do what's best for our neighbour with the ultimate end of helping that person get to heaven (since getting to heaven is the most important thing by far in this life). Jesus did not eat with sinners... he tried to save their souls while he happened to be sharing a meal. Being "nice" to somebody to make them feel comfortable in this life is absolutely evil if you are willfully allowing that person's soul to remain in danger as a result. That would be like a mom and dad allowing their drug-addicted teen to continue to damage himself and risk his life without intervention just because the parents didn't want the kid to go to bed angry with them that night.

If you choose to remain silent out of fear of "offending" someone when you could have been saving a soul, then you will be judged for that. That goes for whether you are a Cardinal of the Church of just a regular lay-Catholic.

So long as your comment is directed to both sides of the election, I agree.

I'm really getting sick and tired of authorities in the Church putting on a happy face and offering congratulatory gestures to those who want nothing more than to marginalize the Church and force the Church to conform to the morals, or lack of morals that this country is increasingly adopting.

Is Cardinal Dolan congratulating Obama because of the fact that he is the most pro-abortion president in history? Because he is pushing abortion and birth control measures around the globe? Because he and people of his ilk have initiated the biggest legal infringements on the Catholic Church and all Catholics in this country's history? I doubt it, so why extend congratulations to someone who wants nothing more than for you to shut your mouth and go along with the immorality? Don't those of authority in the Church understand that as long as they do things like this, put a happy face on occasions of mourning, that no one will respect them, no one will take their statements of defiance seriously? On one side of their mouth they cry for religious liberty and non compliance with immorality, and on the other side of their mouth they congratulate the very man who is pushing all of this for retaining the office he uses to do these things. :shrug:

We must love those who persecute us, but we don't have to congratulate Caesar on his ascension to the imperial throne from which he will persecute. And I think it is damaging to the Church to do the latter.

An iron fist in a velvet glove. :D

[quote="_L, post:11, topic:304535"]
I'm really getting sick and tired of authorities in the Church putting on a happy face and offering congratulatory gestures to those who want nothing more than to marginalize the Church and force the Church to conform to the morals, or lack of morals that this country is increasingly adopting.

Is Cardinal Dolan congratulating Obama because of the fact that he is the most pro-abortion president in history? Because he is pushing abortion and birth control measures around the globe? Because he and people of his ilk have initiated the biggest legal infringements on the Catholic Church and all Catholics in this country's history? I doubt it, so why extend congratulations to someone who wants nothing more than for you to shut your mouth and go along with the immorality? Don't those of authority in the Church understand that as long as they do things like this, put a happy face on occasions of mourning, that no one will respect them, no one will take their statements of defiance seriously? On one side of their mouth they cry for religious liberty and non compliance with immorality, and on the other side of their mouth they congratulate the very man who is pushing all of this for retaining the office he uses to do these things. :shrug:

We must love those who persecute us, but we don't have to congratulate Caesar on his ascension to the imperial throne from which he will persecute. And I think it is damaging to the Church to do the latter.

[/quote]

[quote="grannymh, post:13, topic:304535"]

[/quote]

I don't see how any iron fist is evident here, this isn't Old Europe when Church leaders really had a heavy hand that meant something against leaders.

Obama doesn't respect the Catholic Church, this is plainly evident by his actions. He has no intentions of revoking the HHS mandate because he doesn't respect the Church's commitment to our morals. The Catholic Church doesn't want to provide birth control, abortion inducing drugs, etc? Too bad, they'll get over it eventually and come around. This is the sort of thinking that is driving Obama.

I don't see how he thinks congratulating Obama does any good. Does he think that an offer of congratulations will somehow make Obama change his mind and strike down the HHS mandate? I doubt an offer of congratulations will do anything of the sort, when for all intents and purposes the Church wanted Obama out of office, and Obama knows this.

I wouldn't have offered Obama congratulations because it isn't a personal accomplishment first of all, and in addition to this, it involved millions of people casting votes for a candidate who supports intrinsic evil. We have had it preached to us to vote with our consciences, but that the way we vote can certainly be sinful, even gravely sinful if we vote for candidates who support things intrinsically evil like abortion. So I just don't see how those of authority in the Church can say wink wink Don't vote for candidates that support intrinsic evil like abortion wink wink which we all know is a veiled statement to at the very least not vote for Obama, and then when Obama wins congratulate him on re-election which was the result of millions of people making an objectively immoral choice in my opinion.

[/quote]

I do not wish to defend bad behavior, but there is a lot of pain going around now. Anger and resentment are natural reactions to loss. Meanness, well, the moderator is being kind in suspending people who may be hurting too much to post without getting them selves banned.

Not everyone has the grace of Cardinal Dolan, if any of us do. Let us just be glad he and the Holy Father responded so well on behalf of those whose anger and loss overrides their sense of faith and hope.

I think this year, the Feast of Christ the King will be especially poignant.

[quote="grannymh, post:8, topic:304535"]
Lose a battle. Win a war.

Pick ourselves up, I urge. People in the trenches--smile as if we have won. And united behind our Bishops, we, too, will overcome. ** All together now -- push!**

[/quote]

[quote="pnewton, post:15, topic:304535"]
I do not wish to defend bad behavior, but there is a lot of pain going around now. Anger and resentment are natural reactions to loss. Meanness, well, the moderator is being kind in suspending people who may be hurting too much to post without getting them selves banned.

Not everyone has the grace of Cardinal Dolan, if any of us do. Let us just be glad he and the Holy Father responded so well on behalf of those whose anger and loss overrides their sense of faith and hope.

I think this year, the Feast of Christ the King will be especially poignant.

[/quote]

[quote="Tampa_Dave, post:10, topic:304535"]
So long as your comment is directed to both sides of the election, I agree.

[/quote]

Indeed, my comments were directed at everyone, not one side or the other... But niether side appears to be in the mood for civility. Even here, where we are (in theroy) first and foremost Christians.

I decided to leave this forum yesterday and seek out a new home. It turns out that the right wing fringe here are a bunch of liberal progressives compared to other Catholic forums. I signed up for one and started browsing and I found most post were on subjects like "What's the best survival freeze dried foods to stock up on for the coming war"...

And the left is just as bad.

I have no home...

I'm wondering if I'm still a Catholic...:confused:

[quote="_L, post:14, topic:304535"]
I don't see how any iron fist is evident here, this isn't Old Europe when Church leaders really had a heavy hand that meant something against leaders.

Obama doesn't respect the Catholic Church, this is plainly evident by his actions. He has no intentions of revoking the HHS mandate because he doesn't respect the Church's commitment to our morals. The Catholic Church doesn't want to provide birth control, abortion inducing drugs, etc? Too bad, they'll get over it eventually and come around. This is the sort of thinking that is driving Obama.

I don't see how he thinks congratulating Obama does any good. Does he think that an offer of congratulations will somehow make Obama change his mind and strike down the HHS mandate? I doubt an offer of congratulations will do anything of the sort, when for all intents and purposes the Church wanted Obama out of office, and Obama knows this.

I wouldn't have offered Obama congratulations because it isn't a personal accomplishment first of all, and in addition to this, it involved millions of people casting votes for a candidate who supports intrinsic evil. We have had it preached to us to vote with our consciences, but that the way we vote can certainly be sinful, even gravely sinful if we vote for candidates who support things intrinsically evil like abortion. So I just don't see how those of authority in the Church can say wink wink Don't vote for candidates that support intrinsic evil like abortion wink wink which we all know is a veiled statement to at the very least not vote for Obama, and then when Obama wins congratulate him on re-election which was the result of millions of people making an objectively immoral choice in my opinion.

[/quote]

You know, I'm beginning to feel more like you every day. Congratulating Obama on his re-election gives me the same feelings I got when Obama "thanked" the Catholic Church for all the good it does at the Al Smith dinner in NY. Seriously? :eek:

[quote="Myqyl, post:18, topic:304535"]
Indeed, my comments were directed at everyone, not one side or the other... But niether side appears to be in the mood for civility. Even here, where we are (in theroy) first and foremost Christians.

I decided to leave this forum yesterday and seek out a new home. It turns out that the right wing fringe here are a bunch of liberal progressives compared to other Catholic forums. I signed up for one and started browsing and I found most post were on subjects like "What's the best survival freeze dried foods to stock up on for the coming war"...

And the left is just as bad.

I have no home...

I'm wondering if I'm still a Catholic...:confused:

[/quote]

It is a pity that open hostility and meanness is coming out on this forum from Christians. Some probably feel justified as they come from a 'telling it like it is' school or feel that they are St Peters successor and therefore they actually do speak for the Church.

I usually read the posts and rarely comment but have just started to comment more as I am on holiday leave.

I must say I am surprised that some 'Catholics' on here are staunchly defending Obamas Health Mandate as I figured abortion was a Not Negotiable. Other Catholics are happy with same-sex marriage in some American states in complete defiance of Church Teachings with no repercussions from Moderators or other posters. I can see why people are confused about what it is the Church stands for when they read the above from someone who claims to be Catholic.

It is disappointing and embarrassing at times. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.