Cardinal Dolan Interview with Meet the Press (NBC)

In an exclusive interview with Meet the Press, Cardinal Timothy Dolan talks about Pope Francis’ evolving priorities and vision on gay marriage.

nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/mtp-exclusive-cardinal-timothy-dolan-n48326

In this web-only clip, Cardinal Timothy Dolan explains his view of the crisis in Ukraine and the role he thinks the Catholic Church plays in all of it.

nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/web-exclusive-cardinal-dolan-talks-ukraine-n48191

MEET THE PRESS
Cardinal Timothy Dolan touts the strive for “via media,” the balancing act between Democrats and Republicans to avoid radical ideals of either party.
nbcnews.com/watch/meet-the-press/cardinal-dolan-chides-excess-of-partisanship-188748355681

I don’t know if my computer is just slow or why I am getting errors reports that NBC is not responding when I click on the link for video and transcript of David Gregory’s interview with Cardinal Dolan. But here is a quote from Huff Post from the interview:
huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/09/catholic-church-gay-civil_n_4930377.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics

Cardinal Timothy Dolan of the Archdiocese of New York said Sunday that Pope Francis’ recent remarks on same-sex civil unions should not necessarily be interpreted as an endorsement of those unions.
Rather, said Dolan, the pope was suggesting that the Catholic Church should seek to understand why there is growing support for recognizing same-sex unions.
“If I saw the reports accurately, he didn’t come right out and say he was for them,” said Dolan in an interview with David Gregory of NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “Once again, in an extraordinarily sincere, open, nuanced way, he said, ‘I know that some people in some states have chosen this. We need to think about that and look into it and see the reasons that have driven them.’”
The pope, said Dolan, was arguing that “rather than quickly condemn” civil unions, “let’s just ask the questions as to why that has appealed to certain people.”
Gregory asked Dolan whether civil unions would make him “uncomfortable.”
“It would,” said Dolan. “Marriage, between one man and one woman forever leading to life and love, that’s not something that’s just a religious, sacramental concern … It’s also the building block of society and culture.”
“If we water down that sacred meaning of marriage in any way, I worry that not only the church would suffer, I worry that culture and society would,” he said.
Gregory also asked about Michael Sam, the University of Missouri football star who recently came out. “How did you view it?” Gregory asked Dolan, a native of Missouri.
“Good for him. I would have no sense of judgment on him. God bless ya,” said Dolan. “Look, the same Bible that tells us, that teaches us well about the virtues of chastity and the virtue of fidelity and marriage also tells us not to judge people. So I would say, ‘Bravo.’”

I really recommend that everyone listen to the entire interview so you can hear it in context also you can hear how the cardinal defends the faith.

Otherwise you do yourself and Cardinal Dolan a disservice.

Overall, he did a terrific job. He is a great advocate for our Catholic faith.

But, as too often happens, a Catholic clergyman gives the “opposition” ammunition, by saying “Bravo” in response to Michael Sam coming out of the closet. No idea what compels our leaders to say such things.

The statement I heard attributed to the Pope was that the Church might be willing to approve civil unions under certain circumstances.

From past experience, I think one of the main circumstances of a civil union would be the chastity, if not celibacy, of the participants.

I don’t pray for the position of the church to change. I’m praying for a cure for homosexuality.

What world is Dolan living in?

“If we water down that sacred meaning of marriage in any way, I worry that not only the church would suffer, I worry that culture and society would.”

Hello?? Look around your eminence its already happened!

thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/caught-tape-opie-and-anthonys-sex-stunt

Then we get this gem.

"Gregory also asked about Michael Sam, the University of Missouri football star who recently came out. “How did you view it?” Gregory asked Dolan, a native of Missouri.
“Good for him. I would have no sense of judgment on him. God bless ya,” said Dolan. “Look, the same Bible that tells us, that teaches us well about the virtues of chastity and the virtue of fidelity and marriage also tells us not to judge people. So I would say, ‘Bravo.’”

“Good for him.” Really Cardinal Dolan, you think it’s good to encourage, and give praise to a person who has an orientation that is disordered, and contrary to the Natural Law? Michael Sam publicly announced to the entire world that he is “gay” and you say, “Bravo.” Michael Sam gave no indication anywhere, in multiple interviews, that this is an orientation or behavior that he struggles with, and yet we have a prince of The Church giving him a high five? Michael Sam gives no indication he is living a chaste life. In fact this interview, and other’s, lead’s one to believe that he is not living a chaste life. If he would have “come out” and announced he was an alcoholic or shooting heroin everyday, would Dolan say, “God bless ya?” This is a person made in the image and likeness of God. Souls are on the line! This is what use to be called enabling. Not to long ago society would hide their sins, now we boldly proclaim them to the world, so we can be given a pep rally. I will hold on to that “outdated” Sacrament of Reconciliation, where I know I really encounter Christ!

True Charity would be teaching and preaching the Truth. I guess the cardinal doesn’t want to be labeled a “bigot” or taken to the woodshed for “judging.” My 13 year old son knows how to exegete that particular scripture better than Cardinal Dolan, and has the backbone to do it with Charity.

Our Lord said, Mk. 13:13 you shall be hated by all men for my name’s sake. But he that shall endure unto the end, he shall be saved. We need to pray for Cardinal Dolan.

Pax,
Tarpeian

Don’t rely on blogs, they are taking things out of context.

I really recommend that everyone listen to the entire interview so you can hear it in context also you can hear how the cardinal defends the faith.

Otherwise you do yourself and Cardinal Dolan a disservice.

Why is it every single interview needs to be clarified and put into context these days? That line is becoming over used and less believable as time goes on.

Here is a transcript:[FONT=Courier New]**DAVID GREGORY:

Will there be a point at which there will be an expectation of action, not just debate, not just teaching, but to say he seems to be setting a course for the church that makes the church open to certain changes. Maybe not doctrinal changes, but certain changes, inclusion of women in-- in the hierarchy of the church, changes with regard to the view of divorce and taking communion-- and even gay rights?**

CARDINAL DOLAN:

Uh-huh (AFFIRM). There are some who have said that, you are right. There are some, even his admirers, who have said, “Holy father, be careful.” You know, there almost seems to be this huge sense of expectation among Catholics, and we’re a little worried that their hopes might be dashed.

I think, though, we’ve got a Pope, David, that-- that does not think in terms of winning or losing. I think we’ve got a Pope-- that says, “I want to-- ask the right questions. I wanna point people to the place where they can get the answers, mainly not me,” the Pope is saying’, “but the church’s teaching, our tradition, the bible, what god has told us. Let me point them to that. Let me ask the questions. Let me get the interest going. And let’s-- and then let’s try to revive god’s people to passionately reclaim the truth that god has revealed.” I think this is his pastoral strategy.

[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]**[FONT=Georgia][FONT=Courier New]DAVID GREGORY:[/FONT]

Do you imagine the church might open the way to accepting civil unions?**

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][FONT=Georgia][FONT=Courier New]CARDINAL DOLAN:[/FONT]

He mentioned-- I haven’t see-- I’m-- I’m as eager as you are to-- read the-- the full extent of that interview. And if I saw the reports accurately, they-- he didn’t come right out and say he was for them. Once again, in an extraordinarily-- sincere, open, nuanced way, he said, “I know that some people in some states have chosen this. We need to think about that and look into it and see the reasons that have driven them.”

It wasn’t as if he came out and approved them. But he-- he just in-- in a sensitivity that has won the heart of the world, he said, “Rather than quickly condemn them, let’s see if-- let’s-- let’s just ask the questions as to why that has appealed to certain people–”

**DAVID GREGORY:

Would that make you uncomfortable?**

CARDINAL DOLAN:

The-- what, the civil unions?

**DAVID GREGORY:

Yeah.**

CARDINAL DOLAN:

I-- it would. It would, in a way, David. Because I don’t think-- marriage, between-- one man and one woman forever leading to life and love, that’s not something that’s just a religious, sacramental concern. You bet it is that, and-- and we-- that’s how god has elevated it, to making a sacrament.

But it’s also the building block of society and culture. So it belongs to culture. And if-- and if we water down that sacred meaning of marriage in any way, I worry that not only the church would suffer, I worry that culture and society would.[/FONT]
[/FONT]I wish Cardinal Dolan would have, for the MTP audience, have interpreted the Holy Father’s comments in light of the teachings of the Catechism:1650 Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ - “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery” The Church maintains that a **new union **cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God’s law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.
Understanding what the catechism says makes the Holy Father’s comments pretty clear. Sadly, His Eminence allowed for American politics to color his response, rather than just relating it back to the teachings of the Church.

Maybe because the Pope is his boss? :slight_smile:

I watched the interview–twice.

Again, overall, it was very good.

But why say “Bravo!” in response to Michael Sam coming out? What was the man thinking?

Yeah, it’s so hard to get past that “Bravo” isn’t it? I was puzzled by it, too. But if we have read or listened to the entire interview and come across with an overall good impression, then we need to get passed it. We could disregard everything he said and focus on that “Bravo”. But what would that make of us?

Anyone surprised that NBC’s transcript didn’t capitalize the word God?

Anybody else notice that the media loves showing Pope Francis touching (patting on the head) children? Not too hard to see the message the media is trying to send.

For those who were saying that Michael Sam might have pure motives, and might not be trying to promote homosexuality with his “coming out”, I present this:

bleacherreport.com/articles/1986392-michael-sam-unveils-stand-with-sam-merchandise-for-sale-on-personal-website#articles/1986392-michael-sam-unveils-stand-with-sam-merchandise-for-sale-on-personal-website

He is literally selling merchandise to promote himself and his “gay pride”.

It’s very likely Cardinal Dolan had no idea about that.

I think he just meant “Bravo” for Sam for being honest and up-front about his homosexuality in one of the few segments of society left where no one has done that before. Football locker rooms are often brimming with overbearing machismo and heterosexual stories and jokes are constant, so - generally speaking - I have sympathy for anyone so far off from the norm in his line of work.

That said, in his specific situation, I don’t feel nearly as much sympathy if he is indeed just turning it into self-promotion.

Bravo???.. Do Catholic Bishops call men to repentance anymore? Do they call them to The King, to Jesus Christ… Bravo???.. This man is in mortal sin( if he is acting upon his orientation of which it appears he is as he is celebrating it) and if he should die today he will be damned to eternal separation from God… Does This so called Prince of the Church not care about the man’s soul… Diabolical Disorientation is prevalent today…

The question of how do I, and should I, lovingly convey my concern over the “good for him” and “we don’t judge people” comments was quickly answered through the word of God in the very next days first reading, Leviticus 19:1-1, 11-18. “speak to the whole assembly and tell them : be holy”, “You shall not put a stumbling block in front of the blind”- ‘Good for you’ is what I would consider a major stumbling block to the self professed sexually disordered. “judge your fellow men justly” - yes the bible also mentions judging, twice in this reading alone and not in the never sense. “nor stand by idly when your neighbor’s life is at stake”. Please forgive me Cardinal Dolan, in these troubled times we need to be told what we need to hear versas what we want to hear for the very good of our eternal souls.

I wonder how Dolan would respond to: a chaste same sex attracted has no reason to declare himself to anyone. Bravo??? Was this a nervous Bravo? Or does this betray the Cardinals real convictions.

Card Dolan needs to explain why his declaration of his homosexual acts is a good thing deserving a Bravo.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.