Cardinal Dolan passes on the baton

From La Stampa:

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has announced that its members will be voting for their new president and vice president at their annual autumn General Assembly, which will run from 11 to 14 November. The USCCB has published a list of the ten candidates nominated by the bishops. Two of these ten candidates will be elected president and vice president respectively, replacing the Archbishop of New York, Cardinal Timothy Dolan and the Archbishop of Louisville, Joseph E. Kurtz.

The candidates are: Archbishop Gregory M. Aymond of New Orleans, Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, OFM Cap., of Philadelphia, Bishop Blase J. Cupich of Spokane, of Washington, Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, Archbishop José H. Gomez of Los Angeles , Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz of Louisville, Kentucky, Archbishop William E. Lori of Baltimore, Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr of Cincinnati, Archbishop Allen H. Vigneron of Detroit and Archbishop Thomas G. Wenski of Miami.
I was really saddened when I saw that neither Bishop Blaire nor Bishop Pates were on the list of finalists.

Maybe next year.

I’m going to start making “Vote Chaput in '13” bumper stickers :slight_smile:

Me too!

Oh, I am sad that our very holy Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston is not on the list.
However, there are some excellent candidates listed for the positions

Nor is Cardinal Donald Whuer either I guess then.
:frowning:

Nor Bishop David Malloy:(

Oh well. At least the candidates are all completely solid.

Farewell Cardinal D…fair well.

Isn’t he on the popes V-8 panel? A great man.

That’s okay. Archbishop Chaput is from the same order, so he will represent.

I am glad to see the Knights of Columbus’s own Supreme chaplain in the mix though. William Lori.

Never been a big fan of the USCCB, but save for a couple on this list, there looks to be some excellent choices. I’m excited to see the direction the USCCB will be heading in the next few years to come.

The three I know of are great! I guess everyone want their own bishop there.

I’ll take a few…:D:thumbsup:

They need a leader who is not afraid to kick butt and take names:thumbsup:

As someone who is part of the Philadelphia Archdiocese, I must say Archbishop Chaput is great :D. He deserves the nomination.

The USCCB is not a disciplinary group. The position of president is one of presider over equals.

Moi aussi…

:thumbsup:

*As for O’Malley, he’s the American cardinal the new pope knows the best. He speaks fluent Spanish and was a house guest of Bergoglio in Buenos Aires a couple of years ago, and they have many friends in common up and down the church in Latin America.
Moreover, he’s also the American cardinal most obviously in sync with the spirit of the new pope. They both come out of religious life (Bergoglio is a Jesuit, O’Malley a Capuchin), and both are clearly devoted to the example of Francis of Assisi. Consider the adjectives typically used to describe the new pope: simple, humble, close to the people. In the States, the same things have long been said about O’Malley.
Back in November 2004, O’Malley famously confessed that “at times I ask God to call me home and let someone else finish this job,” suggesting he was overwhelmed by the demands of governance in Boston.
Over time, O’Malley got his legs under him, and now he seems poised to become under this pope what Cardinal John O’Connor was under John Paul II and what Cardinal Timothy Dolan was under Benedict: the pontiff’s go-to guy not just in the United States, but North America and much of the English-speaking world.

**ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/five-thoughts-popes-new-g

**youtube.com/watch?v=OTOxAgnLiB8&list=PL1YibWnqVd1w1PUxQHxJXwlAlIat6hA24&index=3

Hey, why isn’t Bishop Joseph Cistone on the list?

We can’t simply have as the shortlist every holy bishop, or it would defeat the purpose of narrowing down the options. It would be like having every good basketball college side in March Madness.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.