Cardinal George Pell named by Pope Francis to head Vatican finance ministry

Cardinal George Pell named by Pope Francis to head Vatican finance ministry

Read more: smh.com.au/national/cardinal-george-pell-named-by-pope-francis-to-head-vatican-finance-ministry-20140225-hvdn3.html#ixzz2uFrtxsuc

Looks like a major appointment within the vatiacan structure.

Good for Card Pell, I’ve read that this new Secretariat could be quite important and influential.

It is good to see Cardinal Pell’s extensive skills recognised by the present Pope. He will be an asset. He is hated by all who hate the Church, which is a good sign.
He will leave a void in the Australian Church, but I am delighted to hear that Bishop Anthony Fisher is a front-runner for replacement. He is a brilliant man academically and a man of great faith. I worked with him before he was a priest in the right to life work we did in Sydney. I hope he gets the job.

Great choice.

Plus, this new dicastery’s head is a Prefect.

Perhaps an honor, but doesn’t it seem rather a waste to assign such an articulate and passionate man of no-holds-barred faith to a position that will consume the majority of his time with mere financial issues?

I was thinking this too, but apparently this will be a pretty powerful and influential Secretariet and Prefect. So while I agree that in some sense I would rather see him more involved with matters of faith, at least this is an important post for him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.